Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Smart elevators

I work in the New York Times building. It's an amazing building. I love the whole lobby. The building has smart elevators. You push the floor number you are going to and it tells you which elevator to go to- A through F. Now, I have never been afraid of elevators but there are two that kind of freak me out from time to time. Elevator B has one spot that every time shakes and gets me jittery. Elevator F seems to have not velocity control and makes my ears pop a lot and in rapid succession.

Ok, I have to confess I am not always the most outgoing and/or sociable guy. To the point when I walk into the office in the morning and when I leave at night I wear my iPod and have the soundcheck off and the volume up. There are only a select few I will take my earphones off for, two being my immediate boss and the CEO of the company. Last week as I was leaving I got into the elevator with the iPod on, volume up; two fairly senior PMs were in there. I get in and just stand there. Soon I realize they are both looking at me. I tell them, sorry I am off the clock and I can't hear you. They both star laugh uncomfortably it appears to me but I can't tell because I can't hear them.

Currently on my iPod I am into the new alt albums I have put on it. I have the husband to thank because he got me Sirius for the truck for Xmas. I am in the truck alot every other weekend and I have to say SIRI is great. I was a skeptic about having to pay for radio but then thought to myself maybe I am acting like my parents did back in the late '70s when they were confronted with cable t.v. Anyhow, my faves on SIRI are channels 15, 19, 21, 23 and 24 in no particular order. Through the course I have come to appreciate many new sounds and bands; most notably Vampire Weekend, MGMT, The Bravery, Shiny Toy Guns and Paramore.

The book club is still going on, I just served dessert. I kind of participated from the periphery and have to say I realize I am not the typical homo and not a good sample (in statistical terms) for homos or heteros. Some of the comments made me realize why I did not, have not and will not ever register as a Democrat. I just cannot buy into the cult and/or ideology of victimhood which is how I see the modern Democratic party. It all gets back to being responsible and accountable for the choices I have made and make every day and the consequences of those choices. That is not to say I will ever register as a Republican either but at least they are not about blaming others for anything in life that causes you adversity. I am lucky my husband loves me enough to know not to bring up politics.

If you missed it the bailout of BSC is now getting a lot of scrutiny from the Senate- as it should. To paraphrase Senator Baucus, Congress is in charge of the purse strings and they have a right to know how and why the Fed decided to bailout a mid-tier i-bank before you and I pony up $30 billion.

Also, for the record I detest Cramer and his show and CNBC is not far behind. If you think Cramer is great you should go to YouTube and find Don Harrold's commentary on Cramer. It should help you get smarter.

No comments: