Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Skoal, ice cold long necks and Big Buck Hunter

The morning started off kind off kilter. Monday the pool was too cold, last night a friend told me the heater was broken. this morning when I jump in it is HOT. Apparently they fixed the heater but too well. I only swam for 40 minutes before it was too much for me. As a woman in the lane next to me said it's like trying to run in 100 degrees weather. I got out and asked the attendant if she could check the temp which she begrudgingly did. Get this it was 98 degrees in the shade.

Next when I got to work and get a call from a friend of a friend. He proceeds to tell my our mutual friend was given an intervention last night and is now in detox/rehab and incommunicado for the next 48 hours. My jaw hit the desk. I knew my friend was not mentally in a good place lately; over the past 3 years he has lost both his parents, found out his wife had been carrying on a 3 1/2 year affair and is now going thru a divorce (which she doesn't understand why and NOW wants to go to a marriage counselor- go figure). I just saw him two weeks ago and had no idea that he had crossed the line from substance user to substance abuser. He is def one of my BFFs and I have known him for about 15 years. If I had known I would have been more forceful when I told him to seek professional mental health help. I could not be there since he lives in a fly-over state and his friends there did it. I thanked them for it.

Tomorrow after work several of us are going to a total dive bar around the corner from our office to drink ice cold long neck Buds, dip Skoal and play Big Buck hunter. It is a great video game- way better than Golden Tee and kind of difficult to find in NYC. So when we walked by said drinking establishment and saw it in there we knew we had a new hang out.

Friday morning I am catching a flight to Denver to go snow boarding with five friends from high school and college. The price is right because one of the guys owns the condo we are staying in so all I had to pay for was my fight, the rental car and beer and salty products for our lat night poker game. They are all staying for several days but I had to be more judicious with using my days off. So I most likely will not be posting until Sunday night.

No comments: