Sunday, March 9, 2008

Ah the joys of an eleven year old...

I talk to my sons every night regardless of where I am or where they are that night. Last night my soon to be 11 year old son told me he doesn't need to talk to me every night. I told him that's nice but too bad you have to- I'm your dad. He got all snotty and whiney to which I replied look, I don't care if you don't want to say anything but you will hear my voice at least once a day no matter what. He begrudgingly agreed to that and then proceeded to tell me about the ice cream social he went to Friday night. Two things: 1) What the hell is an ice cream social and b) I was psyched he shared it with me. Normally It is like pulling teeth to get info out of him. The ex-wife says it's his age and that we (his mom and dad) are not cool. I guess I understand that since I recall myself being that way with my parents at that age. My 8 year old however is still in the mom and dad and dad's partner are cool. He talks to my partner every night as well as me- as long as the Asian markets are slow. When I told them we had a civil union he asked my better half if he could call him dad and the answer he got was well what are you going to call your dad if you call me dad too? Which leads into a question I ran into this weekend while at Copper Mountain with my h.s. friends: If you call him your husband are you his wife? I said no and good question. I am his husband like he is mine. It confused them so I just said partner for the rest of the weekend.

Speaking of my weekend at Copper Mountain I have one thing to say. Nothing threatens a straight man's masculinity more than getting his ass kicked at poker by a gay guy, LOL. It was great taking their money.

Right now stuck in the Crown Club at Denver waiting for my flight home. Can't wait to see the husband and the kids. For the record the kids are the two dogs we have and the boys are my sons.

No comments: