Thursday, March 6, 2008

If you're going to make it into the WSJ, it better be for something better than Ecstasy and marijuana

As a trader on Wall Street there are a lot of fringe benefits available if you are so inclined. You can go to the best restaurants in town, the hottest concerts, the biggest sporting events, the members only golf courses, etc. So when I read that a Fidelity trader is getting busted for having a broker get him ecstasy and marijuana I have to seriously question his thought process. If I were to abuse the fringe benefits to get drugs it would not be for something I could get in front of the parole office right across the street from my building- I'd go for the really hard stuff like cocaine or heroin!!!! This all stems from the infamous bachelor party for one of their traders. I remember when it made the tape and there was dwarf tossing involved and the dwarf who was getting tossed (who I am told died 2 years ago of non-tossing related causes) was quoted as saying"Some people are just into really lavish dwarf entertainment."

Yes there is a parole office across the street. I work in Hells Pantry- right next to Hells Kitchen but smaller and not as developed. Our company moved into the New York Times Building right across for that gem of a building the Port Authority Bus Depot.

Speaking of work I need to preface my next comments with the statement I am not a Republican; in fact I am not affiliated with either party; I am a libertarian with a Calvinist overlay or undertones (depends if you are a bottom or a top I guess) and a sunscriber to the Cato Journal. I believe the government is NOT my master or my mother and does not know what is best for me and how to live my life. I am a fully sentient being with free will (until our machine overlords come to power and they plug me into the Matrix) who makes choices every day and hold my self accountable for the consequences of those choices and am responsible for my actions.

Ok so what is really grinding my gears is the government feeling they need to bail out all of these people who were not prudent or knowingly made a choice that they knew could end very badly, i.e. the whole subprime mess. It is not my responsibility to pay for their stupidity or recklessness. Yet the is what the government is trying to do. (The argument that a lot of these people did not know what they are doing is an insult to the average American. Joe Sixpack is smarter than the government gives him credit for. I am sure there was some fraud perpetrated but I think it is not all fraudulent.) The Federal Reserve has floated the idea that banks should forgive part of the principle for mortgages. Are you kidding me? Let the markets take care f it, find a clearing price and sadly some will suffer because they made poor choices. The idea of creative destruction appeals to me and I would most likely be an economist of the Austrian school of thought if I wanted to get my PhD in economics. No I have not read any Ayn Rand even though when I got my membership kit to the gay club I saw it was required reading- I honestly tried to read Atlas Shrugged and could not, she is a crappy writer.


On a lighter note, my oldest turns 11 in a few weeks and has been pestering me for either a cell phone or an xBox 360 for his birthday. I have said no to both but like any divorced father I often relish the idea of sticking my thumb in the ex-wife's eye but realize that this life is a marathon not a dash and we will be inextricably involved with each other until my husband dumps my ashes in the Seneca, so I try not to antagonize her too much.

Came in second place on BBH, shockingly I did better hitting the big, beefy targets such as elk and moose- go figure...






1 comment:

jh45202 said...

Well said boss. Good to see you around again.
Behave.