Saturday, March 15, 2008

The power of a pinky swear

So I picked up the boys last night at their mom's house and was kind of shocked. She actually noticed that my hair is long and shaggy. It was the first time in a very long time she ever commented on my appearance. I really don't know what to make of it because it caught me off guard and it was the closest thing a nice word she has had to say to me in a long time. I am going to write it off as a fluke. I do hope to be friends with her at some point later in life but I did a lot of damage when I came out to her and said we couldn't stay married.

The six of us- me, the husband, the boys and the dogs- went out to Long Island. The husband's parents bought a new house out there on the bay the is between Long Island and Fire Island. It's a beautiful house with tons of windows overlooking the bay. There is a small beach that the boys immediately ran out too and spent most of the day collecting shells and even a dead horseshoe crab (that is going back to their mom's house with them). The only time we got them off the beach was to eat lunch. The kids of course ran into the water. My oldest son ran into the water after them- in his sneakers of course. So we stopped at Modells on the way home to get him new sneakers when the husband pointed out his wet ones were blown out and his toes were showing.

We got back, the husband went to a movie and dinner with his best friend in the city. The boys and I had pizza and watched Scary Movie- I was cringing inside several times. So after the movie as I was putting them to bed I pulled the pinky swear. I pinky swore them to not telling their mom I allowed them to watch it. If you are not familiar with it, you lock pinkies and swear to a certain set of conditions. It is the most powerful and formal kind of bond between boys their age and yes I have used it before.

Speaking of Long Island, if you have never driven on the Long Island Expressway -commonly referred to as the LIE- you will quickly learn it lives up to its acronym; there is nothing express about it and it is a LIE. I have come to realize the Jersey drivers are way better. Every other weekend I put a minimum of 200 miles on the truck- driving to and from my home in Hoboken to the boys mom's house in central Jersey. Jersey drivers are waaaay better. Some pointers if you ever find yourself driving in Jersey on a major highway: If you choose to drive in the far left lane be aware there is not speed limit and it would be in your best interests to go at least 10 mph over the posted limit; blinkers are nice but not mandatory; don't be a pussy- if you see your chance take it; if you are given a choice between a cars only or a trucks, cars and buses take the latter.

Tomorrow the four of us are going to the Liberty Science Center, then I drive them back to their mom's. Tomorrow night the husband, I and our friend are going to see 10,000 BC. I recall as a kid a movie titled that with Raquel Welch. Something tells me this one is nothing like that one.

No comments: