Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter dinner at Friendly's

Dinner last night was a hit. I served zucchini soup followed with coq au vin and the company loved both. The husband picked up Easter cupcakes and mini, individual cheesecakes from Billy's in Chelsea. We went through 4 bottles of wine but one was used in the coq au vin (hence the vin in the name of the dish) and we had champagne with our dessert.

The husband and I went out to central Jersey today to meet our new nephews. We went to my brother and sister-in-law's townhouse. We bought extra cupcakes for them, picked up flowers for the new mom and had a gift for the boys. When we got there our sister-in-law proceeded to give us a bit too much information about her c-section. We told her she could stop when we heard the part about her stitches ripping.

We got to the hospital and I have to say I was impressed with the security, we had to go thru three check points just to get t the waiting area and then buzzed through another. I got to go in first with my brother, we washed our hands and got to touch the boys through the holes in the incubators. The boys are fraternal twins and tiny. They look nothing alike; one has the really long, thin fingers and limbs. the other is smaller but heavier. Both are totally cute. The husband went in next with my brother. I got to chat with my sister-in-law and she seems to be holding up well. She said she wanted to go for lunch at Friendly's which is right next t the hospital. So we gorged ourselves on really bad food and topped it off with sundaes. My sister-in-law was amazed when I shared my dessert with the husband. Everyone knows I don't share my dessert so when I shared it with him she told my brother, ok, he is definitely in love.

They boys are off on spring break this week. They fly off to Atlantis very early tomorrow morning. Not that it is a competition but I took them there last year. I try n0t to get catty and competitive about it but I am sure I am not the only divorced dad who keeps score so to speak.

No comments: