Monday, February 22, 2010

I played soccer for six years

No gym this morning as I went to bed last night without packing my shit up for the morning. The alarm went off at the right time but I wasn't going to pack everything up and make it to the gym in time so I said screw it. I can make up the swim some other night.

I was stunned to see an Action Comics No.1 in very fine condition sold for $1 million. It makes me wonder how many years before my collection will have a $1 million comic book.

So there is a new FC in New York- even though they will be playing at their new stadium in Newark. I see the stadium all the time driving to central Jersey to pick up the boys. It is really cool. More importantly one of their players is smokin' hot and totally my type- dark hair, dark eyes and Latin. Juan Pablo Angel- he is making me wonder if we should get season tickets.

I saw a new Priceline commercial today that I though was great! It totally referenced the Mirror, Mirror episode of Star Trek. I did not hear the audio to it but it was awesome seeing Kirk and evil Kirk with a goatee.

Speaking of Star Trek I read that Chekov's son is missing. He apparently went to Vancouver for the Olympics and then never caught his flight back. I did not know that he was also a member of the cast of Growing Pains.

I have no problem with the government setting up a regulatory body to guide and/or set prices for individual health insurance. We already have it for some of our vital services- namely electricity and water. I can see the feds setting pricing guidelines for the individual markets but I don't think they should be getting involved in employer provided health insurance. I also still don't understand why the health insurance industry gets an exemption from anti-trust regulations?

Speaking of health insurance I find it kind of funny that the government has gotten pissed about WLP raising rates but has no issue when they want to raise taxes on them. You can't make too much money or we'll tax it so they are our profits.

I have been discussing the possibility of the payroll tax holiday with JW a bit. I think a payroll tax holiday would be ok if it was targeted only to employees. That would put more cash in their pockets and they could either delever their own balance sheets or spend more. Both options would be good for the economy. The reason the employers would still have to pay it is because Medicaid/care and Social Security are still screwed and cutting them off totally would only worsen an already bad situation.

I noticed that Dubai is probably going to default. I read that some source said it is likely that the debt holders will not be made whole. So you have to wonder what will happen with Greece. I also think that once Greece is forced to do something that the markets will move to the next one. The big question is who is the next one? A lot of people think it will be one of the other PIIGS. I personally think it will be a larger fish and it could be the U.K.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to hear more of your theory of a UK default! I have been watching this S**t go down for some time. While I have heard much about the painful situation in the UK, no major outlet (that I know of) has predicted the UK to be next, or anytime soon. The Bene Gesserit Witch