Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Breathe, remain calm

Ha- ya gotta love summer interns. The summer intern from this past year wrote up an article in the newsletter for the program that got him his internship. It started off as follows: "I was completely shocked on my first day when I discovered that the normal standards of conservative behavior of professionals in this particular industry were not applicable to this setting..." The boss read it, forwarded it to everyone and loved it. Everyone of course looked at me as the intern had sat next to me for the entire summer. Someone made the comment that maybe this year's intern should sit next to someone else. I said no way as the quiet ones are the dangerous ones.

I emailed the intern and called him out on it. He got all scared and I explained to him not to worry, everyone in our area took it as a compliment.

I read a great quote from Keynes in the WSJ today: It's a mistake to think they are more immoral than politicians." He of course was referring to bankers back in the mid 1930s when he was helping out FDR.

So, apparently the Greeks have come across $40 billion in bad debts. According to some reports they were either hidden or just previously unknown. Semantics one would think but hidden means someone knew about them and was hiding them. Unknown means no one knew about them and they were found. I am going to bet the report calling them hidden is the more accurate report.

I see there is a psychic cat that seems to have a connection to the Grim Reaper. Apparently in a nursing home in Rhode Island there is a cat in the hospital that predicts the patients deaths by going to their rooms and sleeping with them. That is kind of freaky and makes me glad I am a dog person. Some have theorized it has to do with chemicals that dying human cells emit that cats some animals are sensitive to- go figure.

I have been distracted since Sunday morning.

Sunday morning our friends PJ and ST called us to let us know their neighbor is moving. She is an older widow. She asked if they knew anyone who might be interested in buying her house. The husband has admired her house for years and he said sure he'll look at it. So we drove down with the boys and took a gander. The property is great and the house is really quaint. It was built in 1960 by the widow and her husband- he passed away last year apparently. It is a ranch with two bedrooms, one bath, living room, dining room, kitchen, den, basement and two car garage. It has a great bowed picture window in the living room overlooking the front yard. It reminds me a bit of the first house I owned with the ex-wife in northern Jersey where both my sons were born. The yard is fracking huge and on one side there is a 20 acre open space owned by the state, the other side is an empty lot that PJ owns so no one could develop it. The lot is mostly wooded and the back of the property abuts water. My oldest was psyched when he heard that and his first question was can he fish. I told him I am not sure. There is also a small creek running through part of the backyard into and through the woods.

The husband made an offer to the widow before she listed it with an agent. I found out this afternoon that she accepted it! Holy shit! I am both excited and nervous but definitely more excited. I cannot believe it. The funny thing is if four years ago at this time if you had told me I'd be married to a great man and buying a house with him I would have laughed in your face and accused you of being drunk or on drugs or just plain crazy. Funny how life is an adventure.

The word for the next 12-24 months is now frugality (and the husband gets an extra word- patience!). We are not doing the beach this year. We are not doing the race in South Beach we had signed up for back in December. We will be stripping wall paper, painting, cleaning and moving things.

An amazing added benefit is I will now be only 10-15 minutes from my sons on the weekends. We will most likely be spending all of our weekends there getting the house in a condition the husband can deal with. The kitchen needs work but it is no worse than the kitchen we had out at the beach for the past two years. The bathroom is the original- hideous colored tile. The den is great as it has knotty pine panelling with a big picture window overlooking the backyard.

The boys really loved the house too so that will be a big plus. We'll live across the street from our friends PJ and ST and see them much more often as well.

No comments: