Monday, May 12, 2008

Today's lunch was very expensive

Today was my one and only golf outing. Golf is a large part of Wall Street culture. Personally I can think of a lot of better things to do. I started going to this one when I was working at a hedge fund and making serious cake. I felt instead of always being the guest it would be a lot more fun to be the host and that way I could suffer through a day on the links with people I liked and not have to bullshit about business the entire day. So I picked this one because it actually happened to be the first one to come across my desk and it was hosted at a country club 5 minutes from my first marital residence. I invited 3 friends and we had a blast. I have pretty much kept two of the three originals and the other spot has changed many times. This year I only had one of my originals, a former co-worker and a repeat from last year. The thing is though it got rained out. The former co-worker, call him BP, was coming up from Philly so he was pretty much in transit when I got the email saying it was only going to be lunch and cocktails. The original, call him RM, was on his way from Princeton so he too was in transit. The repeat from last year, AJ, called the club, was told no golf so went to work. AJ is done, no longer gets the nod mainly because he didn't even bother to call me and say he was cancelling. BP and RM are definitely good to go next year and think my bond manager friend will be the fourth.

The bar in the club house was opened at 11, so BP and I had some beers whilst waiting for RM. He got there for lunch and we had some more beer and a very nice lunch. I told RM to eat a lot since I had paid for everything and wanted to make sure we got our money's worth. RM also happens to be a golf pro and evens out my complete and utter ineptitude at the sport. I have known him for sixteen years. His ex-wife is best friends with my ex-wife- go figure. At lunch he mentions he saw the ex at his son's First Communion this weekend. He asked if she is marrying Bob the Builder. I told him not that I know of but it would be a huge economic boon for me if she were to marry him. He said he bets they are married within a year- I told him from your lips to God's ears.

I didn't get to swim this morning but did bike after getting home at 3 PM and taking a nice nap with the lids on the bed. The husband got home and we went to the gym. Monday is definitely hottie night there. We got into a disagreement about this one- he's called gray sleeveless tee- as to whether or not he goes to our church. I say yes and the husband says no. But the husband was also wrong about our neighbor across the hall so I am right. Will swim tomorrow morning to make up for today's missed swim.

I was supposed to go out for beers and wings Thursday evening with a bunch of my fraternity brothers but that has now changed and I now I will be getting a lot of shit from them. Tonight when I was talking to the boys, my oldest told me he has a D.A.R.E graduation ceremony Thursday night at 7 down in Princeton. I told him of course I'd bee there and asked when did he find out about this. He replied yesterday. I said to myself, "Self, he did not find out on a Sunday." I did not want to point out the flaw in his logic because I think it is great he did the D.A.R.E program in fifth grade and want him to realize both his mother and I don't want him abusing drugs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I passed up on an invite to play golf at the start of one job, and I think it was a mistake. I did not enter into the 'one of the guys' status, and that started things out on the wrong foot.

I don't hate golf. It's just that there's no tackling involved.

I do like goofy golf though (some call it putt-putt).