Sunday, January 3, 2010

Ah the new year

The rest of the week at mom and dad's was fun. Tuesday my brother, sister-in-law and their kids arrived in the afternoon. We opened yet more Christmas presents, had yet another Christmas dinner and relaxed. The boys got iTunes cards so I spent a good portion of the evening downloading apps, one movie and some t.v. shows for them.

Wednesday was a blast as there was a bunch of new snow so we all decided to go sledding. We hit the hill in the local town park. We used to sled on the hill growing up and I have to say I forgot how big it was. Thankfully dad had a bunch of sleds- saucers and tugboats. We got there and there were already some people on the hill. They however were on the small part so my youngest and I walked up to the top of the hill and started going down from there. Pretty soon everyone else joined us there. We rode down a bunch of times, my brother and I taking the his sons down with us, my sons riding on their own but I did get them to ride down once with me. I forgot how fast you get going on that hill.

We ended there, everyone went for hot chocolate except for my oldest and I. We went back to the house, showered up and went our for lunch. We of course had authentic Italian cuisine- Olive Garden. Then it was off to the movies. We saw Sherlock Holmes. It was a really good movie. My oldest was psyched because there will definitely be a sequel.

Thursday morning we were up and on the road by 8 AM. Of course there was snow the entire way down in to Pennsylvania. The boys both napped and I did not go more than 50 mph for the first three hours. You'd think with all the stimulus money they'd have some for plowing- apparently not. I finally dropped the boys off at their mom's house around 1:45 PM. I got home to the husband around 3:30.

It was New Year's Eve so we were going out in the city to a party at our friends home on the lower east side. We had a nice homemade dinner first, showered up, got dressed and met up with TK. We then cabbed it over to the party. It was a fun time. The new year rang in and the arty was still going strong. Thor- the bartender (he was a huge, hot blond guy with massive guns)had a very heavy hand with the drinks. At one point I believe he got all indignant when I asked him for a tequila with some water (at the husband's request. He looked askance at my request and I explained he had a heavy hand.

We needed up chatting with another party guest. He is a Jersey boy, works as a consultant in the food industry. Nice guy, he asked us if we wanted to go to another party some of his other friends were having. TK had already left as he is not a big fan of New Year's Eve parties so we said sure. We ended up in some massive apartment on 17th street were the party was still going strong. At one point the husband looked at me and asked if I was still having fun- I said no, it's late, can we go home? Late as in it was 4:45 AM. We got home rather easily on the PATH.

We got up at 1:30- yes 1:30 in the afternoon. The day was spent inculcating the husband in all that is Buffy. There was a Buffy marathon on tv so we spent the day watching it. The marathon only covered seasons 1 & 2 having Chinese food for dinner. At the end the husband was into it and asked what seasons I have on dvd. I told him all of them.

Yesterday we spent the day watching season 3- e did not get through all of it. We only left the house to walk the dogs. Made dinner for ourselves again.


The kids had been sick the entire time I was up north. The husband played Nurse Betty for them the week. apparently they had picked up some bacterial infection at the farm- probably from eating goose shit, pheasant shit or some carcass they came across. They are finally back to normal.

Today we are having brunch with JP who we have not seen in months. Dinner at JD and JW's new home.

Pride is a dangerous thing. Several years ago the husband told me to take down a profile I had on a social networking site for gay men. I let my pride get the better of me and told him you don't tell me what to do. It finally came to a head this past week. He told me that he viewed the site as a sex site regardless if I did or not (he used to be on it as well) and took his profile down early on in our relationship. He said that me putting myself out there- regardless of what I wrote on the profile- was akin to not respecting our marriage and he had to assume I was not on the same page as he was. I was distraught. I told him that was not the case. If I did not want to be with him and only him I would never have asked him to marry me and would not have fought the ex to keep him in my life. My willful pride, obstinacy and arrogance hurt him deeply and probably embarrassed him with some of his friends. I killed the profile immediately. This year I have my work cut out for me to repair the damage I caused, restore his faith in my commitment to us and dispel any doubts he has about me. I debated writing about it as I am not sure he wants it known.

I have not really kept up on the economic news lately other than I noticed the NY Times is now questioning the wisdom of helping people stay in homes they cannot afford. When your own party starts questioning it you have to wonder how much longer the policy will stay in place.

1 comment:

Tim said...

Well Thanks for keeping me entertained all year and I must say I've really enjoyed your blog. Hope this year holds good things for you and your family.
I wish my bf carried enough to quit his sites but he says that it's just for laughs...which i don't believe for a second. Just be open and volunteer information, the worst thing is feeling like you have to dig to find out who you really are.