Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Rule 22e-3

So, this morning at the pool, the gentleman who devises all the work outs for the club- I guess you'd say is the coach or coach-like- told me I need to stretch my stroke out(reach more) and turn my hips. He said I don't know how or what you were taught but if you can do that you'll get more glide in the water and use less energy. I told him yes way back when I was a youngin' and swimming for a club team (as in 1976-1979) my coach told me I was not supposed to turn my hips. Curses upon you Bob Kuhn! I coulda been a contender if I had just been taught to turn my hips when swimming...

I woke this morning with a slight twinge in my ribs and knew immediately what it was from. Last night at during kickboxing I went up against this guy one level above me and his frackin' snapping front kicks were deadly. He definitely hits with the ball of the foot and it is not only painful but effective in making me hesitant to close the distance with him. Of course I sparred with him again tonight and he was back with those damn snapping front kicks. After our round was done I told him how good those kicks were and how the hurt when he connected.

Since I am on the topic of the dojo- so embarrassing. Tonight, during submission grappling I of course got paired up with the hot, inked surfer dude who has the same first name as me. During one of the drills I totally ripped ass; it was loud, it was near hs head and I couldn't help but start laughing. I am not sure he saw the humor in it as well.

It kind of seems ironic to me that Greece, which many think of as the birthplace of Western civilization and democracy, is rumored to be getting bailed out by China- the last major Communist nation in the world. Of course all parties involved denied said rumors.

it seems that Paul Volcker has always detested money market funds (going forward MMF). If I understand what I've read on his stand on them he seems to view them as art of a shadow banking system that really should not be around because they don't fall under a serious federal regulator and can exacerbate financial problems. He has pretty much had it out for them for a while now. Well it looks like he may finally get what he wants. The SEC voted to pass rule that is possibly going to drive MMFs out of business. The SEC will end up shortening the maturity MMFs can hold down to 45 days I believe and they can suspend redemption's in times of crisis at their discretion. It really won't impact retail investors much since most of the MMF assets are all corporate cash balances. This could be why the 1 month U.S. Treasury Note went negative on yield. That means that people who are lending the U.S. government for one month are also paying the government for that privilege. I would conjecture that corporations will realize this and the possible response would be to pull their assets out of MMFs. That could be slightly detrimental to the MMF business as a whole.

No comments: