Monday, August 11, 2008

Water polo is violent

Am I the only one who is very concerned about Russia invading its neighbor? Seriously, I believe the U.N. institutes a global truce during the Olympics and yet Russia felt the need to invade Georgia. No one seems to be concerned and is more worried about whether or not Michael Phelps gets 8 gold medals. Don't get me wrong- he is pretty damn hot but still, a war in the Caucuses right next to Iran does not help lessen the stress of the move this Friday. I admit I don't have all the details but I have to say the cynic in me says it is because Georgia has an oil pipeline that totally bypasses Russia and that is the real reason, not solidarity with ethnic Russians in South Ossetia. But I digress...

Bear market rallies are violent and quick. I think that is what has been happening for the past two days. Volume has been light. Banks are still tightening credit. The vaunted consumer is showing serious signs of distress. As usual the government is massaging the data. They tweaked the recent unemployment figures. I was told they are now not asking people who are working part time if they would want to be working full-time and are counting them as employed. The same person told me if you un-tweaked the numbers the jobs number was very bad.

My sister-in-law is staying with us for a few days. The husband is helping her with her college hunt. He is also making her help with the packing- he is so practical.

We got more packing done tonight. I'd say we are about 60% done which is ahead of my agenda.

Sunday the husband and I watched some water polo- That sport is hardcore. It is like a combo of rugby and basketball but in the water. And the guys are hot and have nice meaty thighs and asses.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Water polo is rough. I tried it before I got into rugby but hobbits don't make good water polo players. They pull your shorts off and scratch you too.