Tuesday, August 26, 2008

That was soo cool

The boys and I took in Kung Fu Panda yesterday afternoon. I have to say it was pretty damn funny. I actually enjoyed it more than WALL-E. I didn't even realize some of the big names that lent their voices to it until the credits rolled. Afterwards we all relaxed at mom and dad's and then we went out to dinner riverside in town. Since mom and dad offered to pay I ordered the filet mignon special- ha!

Today we all went to the local nature preserve and did one of the trails around the lake. Mom and dad picked the 3 mile loop. It started off auspiciously when we saw a dead mole which my oldest snapped a picture of with his camera phone. Winding our way through we saw herons. some Canadian geese and probably missed a lot since the boys were somewhat loud and I am sure scared off any of the other natural fauna. That is until we were about three quarters of the way around and we all heard this noise that sounded like a bird. I looked at my youngest standing next to me and asked if he made that noise. He said no so we all stopped. We heard it again and looked for a bird. Then my oldest saw some movement in the brush and said oh cool it's a frog. Then he looked closer and said COOL it's a frog getting eaten by a snake! Sure enough there in the brush was this frog with half it's body in a snake's mouth getting dragged away and making a noise that sound avian. My oldest whipped out his trusty camera phone and snapped away. He then called his mom to tell her about it. his brother asked to speak to her and then told her grandma wants to say hi. My mom looked at me with a what the hell look on her mouth. She and the ex really don't keep in touch and were not the closest when I was married to my sons' mother.

We then went home and had lunch then rested a bit. Then I took the boys back to the state fair and the three of us did the freak show tour and the fun houses on the midway. Funny how the spider girl today had a completely different head- last time she was this blond white woman, today she was an African American woman with corn rows- go figure. We took in the world's smallest horse again, saw a 300 pound python, and looked at all the mummified bodies in a freak show tent. We also saw the world's smallest woman- she has body odor and was drinking a beer when we walked in.

We had pizza for dinner and then dad built a fire in the backyard and we made s'mores. The boys asked if they could stay up 'til 11 and I said sure. My parents looked at me like I was crazy. Sure enough around 10:15 they both asked if they could go to bed. Put them to bed, finished laundry so all their clothes are clean when they get home to their mom.

We will be on the road early tomorrow because of the construction we hit on the way up. The husband has made dinner plans- we are entertaining int he new place even though there are a lot of boxes to take care of still. I have to go grocery shopping when I get home. Then it is back to work for two days and then the Labor Day weekend. I can't believe the summer is done.

No comments: