Friday, January 30, 2009

They would have been better in a larger venue

Last night we went and saw the Kings Of Leon at MSG. The band was very good but I don't think they are quite experienced at this point in their career for such a large venue. They would have been amazing at the Beacon or the Paramount in MSG- which is called the Nokia Theater these days. The other thing that I was thinking is they better follow up this album with something as strong. If they don't I think they will end up this generation's Black Crowes at best or got he way of the Spin Doctors/Blues Traveller/Creed- all of which were not nearly as talented as the Kings Of Leon. I made that comment tot he husband and he disagreed. He said if they win the Grammy they are nominated for they won't and there was a huge amount of really young people at the concert.

Speaking of young people there were tons of drunk, large boned girls there. The one standing next to me told me I looked like the lead singer to which I told her thank you. One of the PMs I work with and trade for occasionally was there and I texted that to him which he found very funny.

Which brings me to a story about another PM I work for- this one directly on a daily basis and he is a big swinger. I ran into him as I was leaving the office in my jeans, Merrills and baseball hat. He asked where I was off to, told him the Kings Of Leon concert. He said he loves them and thanks for the look. I responded sorry but this is not a broker event but I am going personally. So I bought the guy a concert tee. When he got into the office this morning he called me to thank me and then told me that his personal trainer's brother-in-law is the manager of the band and that is how he was exposed to their music and came to love the group.

I am a bit taken aback by a comment I read yesterday from President Obama. Apparently he told the GOP Congressional leadership: "I won. I am going to trump you on that." That is the post-partisan politics I am so psyched about for the next four years. Oh joy.

A few things that happened yesterday. I was glad to see that lawmakers have decided to finally regulate the CDS market- which I believe is the cause of the whole economic debacle in. As much as I believe in free markets, there need to be some guidelines. Requiring CDS traders to have the underlying bonds is a pretty smart move I think. The CDS market dwarfed the entire dollar amount of the bonds they were based on which just did not make sense to me intuitively.

GS yesterday sold $2 billion of ten year paper. Not a big deal until yo hear they did it without any type of government backing. The deal went well which bodes well for a hoped for thaw in the credit freeze. There were a bunch of other companies who sold paper as well and there were no blow ups.

Today I read where bond traders- who are smarter than I and my compatriots in equity trading- are throwing a hissy fit because they are going to lose their much coveted early closes. Bah- stop being a bunch of pussies and just because they have been around for eons doesn't mean you can't lose them.

Yesterday on MSN there was an pictorial about man cave. There were some nice ones and it made me think back to the one I had in the marital residence- the first marriage that is. It was awesome. I had an oak bar with brass foot rail, Chicago loop on top of the bar, dart board, seven foot, drop-pocket, slate pool table, refrigerator, faux slate floor and a poker table that could seat six. It had a hunter green and crimson walls and a chair rail around the entire room with a ledge attached that was wide enough for a pint glass to sit on it. I don't miss it but it was a great man cave.

Occasionally I can go out hard on a Thursday night- like getting home around 3 AM and close to stumbling drunk. On those nights I sleep in the boys room. I read on wiki about barashnum which is a ritual where a defiled person must spend 9 consecutive days and nights in one small corner of the home. I really hope the husband does not read wiki every day like I do...

No boys this weekend and no big plans which is nice. We do have JW's 40th birthday/house warming party being hosted by JD his boyfriend. Other than that nada, zip, zilch.

No comments: