Wednesday, January 21, 2009

An addenda to my random list

So a friend from high school wrote a list of 25 random things about herself and tagged me on it. I decided to reciprocate and posted my own. As it was a list of random things I tagged random people on my list. Of course after the fact I see I could set it up so all my friends on facebook could read the thing.

As is usually the case there were a few things I forgot to add:

If I had super powers I would probably- no assuredly- use them for my own gain.
I always carry a pocket knife and have lost more to the TSA since 9/11 than I can count.
I have a penlight on my key chain.
As I am Irish you cannot possibly finish a sentence quick enough before I have to speak.
I believe the bathroom is the best place in the home to read undisturbed.
I like to read the "On This Day..." section of Wikipedia every day.

Some of the reactions were pretty funny. My last random thing was I have this blog. My brother the doctor immediately said give me the link. I told him no. This morning I gave it to him as a birthday gift since it is his birthday.

It would appear to me that most of the banks that have taken TARP funds have or will cut their dividends to $0.01/share. If you think the government did not tell them to do that then you may be on drugs. Which leads me to GE. Ge has been described as a hedge fund that just happens to make light bulbs. An apt description seeing as their finance division has become a bank holding company so it could receive TARP funds. So, if the government is making the recipients cut their dividends maybe what the options are telling you is right?

I am not a fan of Childrens News Broadcasting Network at all except for Rick Santelli. He is the only one on there worth listening to- of course he is a bond guy. However today there was one brief other reason to watch. That was a guest commentator by the name of Steve Ellis. He works for some taxpayer advocate group but who cares- he was cute.

Mark up another one in the SEC's "Better Late Than Never" column. They found another Ponzi scheme. This time in Texas run by a former bail bondsman. First off if you gave money to a bail bondsman running a hedge fund I think you are a bit naive to begin with. But the part that really killed me was how BBERG ended the story by telling you what a Ponzi scheme is. WTF if you don't know by now what it is after the whole MadeOff ordeal then maybe you need to pick up a paper or watch the news.

In case it was not clear that no one is safe in this environment I read about a hedge fund that last year made its investors 109% and it was NOT a Ponzi scheme- go figure. In return for such an amazing and stunning job the funds investors pulled half of the assets out in the last two months of '08. But what I really took note of was the guys running the fund were not pussies about it. They did not do what many of the largest hedge funds did and impose restrictions on redemption's. They have serious balls and spine. I am sure they could have but they did the right thing but letting their investors leave.

So I read on Wiki today that ants- yes those pesky things that live on almost all land masses on this planet- account for 15-20% of all terrestrial biomass on this planet. Which leads me to the last random thing about me:

I am fairly certain I could make it on to Jeopardy but I am also as fairly certain I would pull a Cliff Clavern.

No comments: