Monday, July 27, 2009

Maybe I am too old for this shit

I swam this morning. Funny, Mondays are supposed to be just sort of nonchalant workouts. Well I got in the pool a bit early and got 200 yards in before the coach even showed up. He gave me the workout- I was actually the only one in my lane- and it was starting with a 200. WTF??? I got about half of it done and had to get to the office.

I thought it was my week to do the morning notes- it was not. That was a nice surprise actually.

The dojo tonight was tough for me. The one bright spot was the submission grappling class as the guy I got partnered up with was hot. Probably an inch taller than me, lower rank but I am pretty sure he wrestled in high school or college. I caught a look of him shirtless after class- nice build, very cool ink and heard him say he had injured his knee surfing. I was like damn- what is it with surfer dudes??? Kickboxing was interesting. Sense split us up into groups. Level I, II and III. He asked me which group I wanted to be in. Told him you tell me. He said well you've actually stayed in very good shape and have not lost much so you are in Level III. That was the freakin' black belts. One of them is a young kid who seems to me to lack control and has serious attitude. I chalk it up to being young and a punk. He landed a good cross. I didn't think anything of it until I met the husband after for dinner. His jaw dropped and he said is your nose broken. I said I don't think so but it is a bit sore. It is not black and blue and I did not have a bloody nose so I am going with no broken nose. I looked at it when we got home and it is a bit swollen. Whatever, I broke it before in a competition and it's not like I had the prettiest mug to begin with so no big deal.

The ribs are still a bit tender but that is nothing new. It makes me think that maybe I need to re-evaluate this whole idea of getting my black belt. Ha- fuck that, I am going for it. Shit happens.

The banks are really kind of screwed. The government wants them to keep lending but they need to contract lending an heal their balance sheets. The ones that have not yet payed back TARP are most screwed as the government will force them to make bad business decisions. It gets back to how will more debt solve a bad debt problem? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? It won't folks.

BBRG had a strategist on talking about how he thinks the DJIA is going to 10k. WTF?? He says personal savings will go to 12% by Q1 of '10. Hello? If that happens there is no way the economy can grow. People saving that much, while a huge positive in the ling term is not bullish in any way in the short term. His argument is once it hits that level people will start spending again. I beg to differ. I think there is a huge secular psychological change going on with the U.S. consumer and once they find frugality they will not give it up easily.

One of his other arguments is banks are building these huge reserves. Well yes thanks to all the transfer payments form the U.S. taxpayers. And maybe- just maybe- they will need them for the upcoming CRE bomb that is about to blow up and deplete those reserves. But what do I know?

I am probably skipping the gym for lifting tomorrow morning. Part of the issue is I kind of partially tore off the toenail on my big toe tonight. It must have happened during my tussles with the hot surfer dude because I wear foot pads during kickboxing. I showed it to the husband as I knew it would totally gross him out- it did, lol.

1 comment:

Tim said...

maybe you should just make sure to examine your motivations for getting into 'fighting shape' and make sure they can sustain your motivation over the long run