Sunday, July 5, 2009

We are kind of like George and Weezie

So, I know the travails of the real estate market are not over and I know because of recent personal experience. The place we moved into last year, after having a discussion with the owners about living here for several years got sold. Back in May the owners spoke with us, said they needed to sell it. They claimed they were not over levered. Yeah right, they own three properties in Hoboken and bought this one at the top. I would guess they're balloon payment hit. It also did not help that the city raised taxes on average by 47%. They wanted to know if we wanted to buy the place from them. We did not at the price they were asking. I ran a bunch of rent vs. buy analyses on BBRG. The price were it became economically viable was at a price that insulted them. So we told them we'd finish our lease and move out. We finally signed a new lease today. We found a new building in the Newport section of Jersey City. The apartment has stunning views of the entire Manhattan skyline and is on the 17th floor. The husband is pretty sure our friend TK is going to be pissed after the work he did in decorating our current place but shit happens. The thing I am most psyched about is our new place is almost as large as our current but more importantly it is a rental building, we have a two year lease and we don't have to worry about the owner selling the place out from underneath us.

The fireworks on the Hudson last night were amazing from our roof deck. We found out one of our neighbors has one of the private roof decks and they invited us to watch the spectacle from there with them.

Today we really did nothing other than sign the lease for our new home and then hit TGT to get a movie to watch. We got Quarantine.

Tomorrow I go back to the dojo. I am sure I lost a lot of flexibility. Ideally if all goes well I will be hitting classes three nights a week and end up getting my black belt by the end of this year.

No comments: