Saturday, September 12, 2009

Social clubs are so...Philly

Thursday evening I had a business dinner. It was downtown right off Washington Square. Very old school, walk down to the garden level of this town house, ring the door bell and someone will let you in. I arived at the same time as two of the guys I was dining with that evening. We were led through a dining room and the kitchen into the garden. Served drinks, relaxed with some parm and sopresetta. Then moved into the dining room. I asked the host for the evening what the story was with the place. It is a social club. That means you have to be a member to join. Apparently as a social club there are more relaxed regulations and laws in regards to serving food and booze. I understand them being big in Philly as the city has much more restrictive laws regarding hours of operations.

Friday the husband and I decided against going out to the beach. We had the boys, my oldest had a fall baseball game scheduled to start at 6 PM and the weather looked like it was going to be shitty all weekend. We also needed to get more stuff done on the unpacking front.

There was a cute guy on the PATH in Friday morning however.

Friday the weather was shitty, the game got cancelled and we stayed in town.

Saturday the boys got to be couch potatoes while we finished unpacking, organizing and hanging more art. Living right on the river we have realized how active New York Harbor is. Saturday we saw a battleship/destroyer/cruiser going up the Hudson. There were also two massive CCL ships leaving. We also saw two cigarette boats racing around. The husband and my youngest swore they also saw a pirate ship. Sunday there was actually a powerboat race in the morning and that explained what the cigarette boats were doing Saturday. IT was really loud.

We then took in a movie. We were debating between Whiteout, final Destination 3D and 9. the first two are both rated R but solely for violence and gore-which the boys see tons of when they play their xBox at their mom's house. We went with 9 anyways. 3 out of 4 of us liked it. It was a pretty good flick. When we got home my oldest made me make good on a promise I had made to him. We watched Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay. It was pretty funny and for a 7th grader not all that bad. I don't know if he mentioned it to his mom but I have not heard from her lawyer yet so I will go with no.

Sunday we had friends who live across the street from us over.. They are the ones who told us about the new home. We rushed around cleaning up and hanging even more art, laying down some rugs we have, etc. I also had to get the boys showered up and back to their mom's by 4 PM. Wen we were leaving they bot commented on my autumnal facial hair. They said it looks like a cop's mustache especially when I am wearing my Oakleys. I really hope they are not referring to Officer Dan.

I think I made it in record time. I got home around 5:15 and our guests had not yet arrived. We had some wine and appetizers and gave them the tour. We were discussing the local restaurants and they raved about a place called Taqeria. We decided to check it out. It was really good and we could not argue about their raving about the place.

I did not swim this morning- go figure. We are short three people on the desk this week so I just went into the office. It was fairly busy and the day flew by. I did not even get to lunch until 1:30. The husband told me the waterfront walkway from our building to Hoboken is open. So, since it is a short walk from the Hoboken PATH to our building now I decided to take that route home. I have to say the Hoboken PATH has all the serous talent/eye candy.

I did go to the dojo tonight. Hit both classes. After the first one sensei asked me how I was feeling. I told him old. He laughed and asked how old I am. I told him 41 which he was surprised about and then told me he is older.

No comments: