Monday, September 28, 2009

Hmmm- the slap chop

I have had this debate with the husband in the past. Thumb rings. On men. He says no it does not automatically mean they are fellow church goers. He says it is a grunge thing. I disagree and PF comes down on my side of the debate. Which is a good intro into the guy I saw on the PATH this morning. He was very hot, tight graphic tee, tight jeans, Puma sneaker and really nice guns too. His mug was pretty easy on the eyes as well. None of those things in and of themselves indicate he kneels in the pews at my church. Then I saw the thumb ring. Silver. I thought oh yeah, he drinks the wine at Mass.

The whole Iran situation makes me very nervous and it seems to me like someone has asked the mainstream media to keep the coverage/stories/comments to a minimum. Seriously, these guys test fired a bunch of missiles. It seems to me that what is going on is pretty much like this: The new kid at school who everyone thinks is way cool (President Obama) has become the target of the bully (Iran). So he decides to confront the bully with two of the more experienced guys he has become friends with when he arrived (France and the U.K.). The bully looks at them and laughs and knocks their books out of the new kid's hands (test fires a bunch of missiles) and says what are you gonna do now? As a op-ed in the WSJ stated he really doesn't have many choices.

JW made an excellent point about Malthus in one of our email exchanges today. The guy was right about a population explosion causing all kinds of economic and social distress but he was a bit narrow in his argument. However, as JW pointed out, if one were to take his theory and apply it to finite resources as a whole and not just arable land it is pretty spot on. I am going to bet you see a resurgence of interest in good old Tommy-boy and his theories.

Another point JW made was that everyone believes science will save us but no one knows what kind of science and when and how and the cost. So we all go along doing what we are doing expecting some great discovery to help us out of a jam. That by the way was a large undercurrent of the plot for Pandorum.

The other possibility- which ties in with Iran- is there are constantly externalities that occur throughout history that most of the population does not foresee coming. Things like the Black Plague, the Spanish flu, a meteorite striking the earth, nuclear war, etc. I have often wondered if those are not some kind of Malthusian relief valve built into us and the whole ecosystem. It is all moot anyways as the Mayans say we are all dead come 2012. I wonder what that externality will look like.

Vince from Shamwow is now selling the Slap Chop. He is a good sales guy even though he beats up hookers. He told me my life could be exciting if I had a Slap Chop. I gotta admit it looks pretty cool for the kitchen.

No comments: