Wednesday, September 2, 2009

It's scary good.

Last night we had dinner with MP in the city. She is off to FLA today. Apparently a friend of hers is meeting a guy through the Internet and MP felt going solo was not a smart move. We agreed wholeheartedly as it sounded like a future episode of America's Most Wanted. The funniest part is she and my older brother are friends and reconnected through facebook. He totally busted our balls by telling her to ask if we've ever been to Tampa. I laughed when she asked.

I did not swim this morning as we did not get home until around 11 PM. I did however work out last night before dinner and realized I had a charley horse form the dojo the night before. So I put some Icy Hot on did my lifting and cardio.

I saw my first hottie on the PATH ride home tonight. He was probably around 5' 11", buzzed hair (probably a #2 razor), gray tee shirt and shorts- nice guns too.

So the America consumer is acting in a rational manner. Cash For Clunkers shows that they are taking the free money from the government and using it to buy new cars. The unintended consequence though is they are not buying American cars only. Yesterday's SAAR showed that U.S. consumers are avoiding GM and Chrysler- the two government/UAW owned companies that went bankrupt- and buying Fords, Hondas and Toyotas. I have to ask again what happens if GM and Chrysler still make cars no one wants to buy? We wasted billions on saving them.

The big rumored cause of the sell off yesterday was a large U.S. bank was going under. First off I don't think there are any U.S. banks not already saved/owned by the government that would qualify as large. So that leads to the second rumor- a European bank is going to default. Now that rumor makes a lot more sense especially if you consider what is going on with the Spanish banks. They are basically zombie banks extending further credit (which they don't have) to zombie construction companies.

The other issue that finally seems to be coming to the forefront is the whole issue of toxic assets still on the balance sheets of a lot of financial companies. It started on suppositions that a privately held property company that paid top tick for two large rent controlled complexes in NYC is writing them down and about to default. The great state of Florida actually was a junior investor in the deal and admitted they are carrying the investment at zero. The reason they cited is a lack of liquidity. I really can't give countenance to such an argument. I have come to realize in my career there is no such thing as a lack of liquidity- it all comes down to price- you can sell anything at any price; it's a question of if you can accept the price you can sell it at.

So I was supposed to go to the dojo- Kobra Kai never die!_ tonight but when I got home I couldn't find my uniform. Just for shits and giggles I checked the dirty laundry. Yep, that is where it was. The cleaning lady apparently did not finish the laundry. So no classes tonight. The husband went to the U.S. Open. I am watching Chiller- it's scary good.

No comments: