Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"...and justice for all."

Dinner Wednesday night was a lot of fun. The level of fun was so high that the husband thought it would be a great idea to do shots of iced vodka after CC left and JP was hanging out with us catching up and helping us clean up the kitchen. Looking back on the idea Thursday morning I would have to say it was not as good an idea as it seemed after the four of us went through roughly 4 1/2 bottles of wine with dinner. I of course got the question the next morning "Why did you make me do those shots?" from the husband. I posed the question to JP as to why he thought it was a good idea. He has yet to reply to the question.

I really hate the phrase "It's different this time..."when it comes to anything to do with the markets. When someone believes the statement it usually leads to the serious destruction of wealth. However...I am going to say it is different this time. The recession in the '90s was a corporate recession; corporations ran afoul of cheap debt and went about repairing their balance sheets. This time the consumer ran afoul of cheap debt and like the corporations in the '90s, they are going about repairing their balance sheets. When consumption accounts for roughly 70 percent of economic activity it will be different, unfortunately.

The meathead looking sales guy from corporate headquarters was in the office last week. It was also Fleet Week. I love Fleet Week but PF said hot guys in uniforms do nothing for him. Also late last week the Fed released their minutes from their last meeting. They were much less sanguine than what everyone was expecting. It also led me to question just how could anyone believe the results of the "stress tests?"

This weekend we were out at the beach. We went out Saturday morning because Friday night we went to the Yankees game for TK's birthday. I had been to the old Yankee Stadium and have to say I think I like it better than the new one. The seats were freaking amazing though thanks to WP and his corporate connection. We right on the first baseline and become enamored with Chase Utely and Jason Werth on the Phillies.

Saturday morning we picked up MP and headed out to the beach. All the weather reports said it was going to rains all weekend. It did not of course. We had a very relaxing time. Sunday night we hosted friends for dinner. We had a really great dinner courtesy of the husband and I made the dessert. I learned some new things. The new, off the grid neighborhood in the city is FiDi. The other thing I learned is how freakin' annoying I think it is for gays to refer to each other as she. MP noticed it was irking me as all the guess kept doing it but I was a good host and kept quiet. I also learned one of the husband's nick names that this group of friends refer to him as.

I am finding more and more that I like Matt Miller on BBRG t.v. He is kind of cute and I am starting to get his sense of humor.

So California's Supreme Court upheld the ban on gay marriage. They also let stand anyone who was brave/smart/quick enough to get married. I think that is a very cowardly way to make a decision. So what about someone who gets married in Connecticut and then moves to California? Is their marriage not legal and/or valid? Granted, in NJ we have the separate but equal treatment but it is still legal. It would be real simple to take the whole religion out of the equation by having the government issue only civil union licenses and if someone wants a marriage certificate they go to their respective religious organization. Hell they do it now with births- the government issues the birth certificate and if someone wants their child baptised or christened they go to their religious organization and get a certificate attesting to it. The birth certificate issued by the government is the legal document and one recognized by the government for legal purposes. But what do I know?

Tomorrow we have dinner guests again and I fear it will be a repeat of last week but to a much more damaging degree. This couple knows how to and likes to drink seriously. The first time we drank with them the next day the husband complimented them as knowing how to drink for straights.

I have the boys this weekend. I have not decided if I am taking them to see Terminator Salvation or Night At The Museum 2. We saw Terminator Salvation last night- not the best in the series (that's be T2) but a good bit of entertainment and Sam Worthington is hot.

Speaking of my boys the oldest is practicing dead finger. Dead finger is a technique used for packing a tin of Skoal. He did it in the truck the last weekend he was with me and I asked him why he was doing it. He said it is cool and don't worry he is not dipping because it will kill me and he hates it.

No comments: