Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I'm the only one who had to go to the ATM

Snowboarding out in Colorado was a blast. We all got out there by 1 PM. Picked up the car and drove to the mountain. We did stop on the way for salty products and roadies. We got in, unpacked and started playing cards immediately. I did pretty well the first night threatening their masculinity.

The next morning we got up, got our rentals and hit the slopes. We had some really good runs although in one of my early ones I was coming to where two trails joined up, I was looking up the hill when some lady of certain age almost took me out from behind. She then had the nerve to tell me to watch where I was going. I told her I had the right of way as I was in front and I was looking up the hill. She had to be an inexperienced skier as she should have been aware that all boarders have a blind spot and since I am regular mine is over my left shoulder which is the direction she came from behind.

Saturday we went out to dinner in Breckenridge and then headed back to the condo for more cards. I have to say Lady Luck, Fate, Fortune- whatever name you want to call it by was not on my side and was out to teach me a lesson for bragging. I seriously got my ass kicked to the point I only had three dollars left so I went to bed.

Next morning I went tot he ATM when we got coffees at the local SBUX. We then proceeded to play cards again at which point I redeemed myself somewhat. We played until noon and only hit the slopes for a half day. We then finished the trip playing cards 'til late and I ended up with all the chips. The guys at that point thought it would be a blast to drunk dial the husband and tell him he should be proud of me. I refused to give them his number or my phone as I knew he would not see as much humor in the situation as they did.

The flight home was fine, I had the statistically safest seat in the plane- the last row in the back. I sat next to two really cute guys too but I mostly read the books my 9 year old said I'd like and he was right.


I have an B.A. in economics and I have to say it really annoys me to no end when politicians say transfer payments add to economic activity or stimulate spending. When you take funds from one group and give them to the other that is money that can't be spent by the original group and does not add to economic activity or stimulate spending.

So much for a new way to do politics as I see President Obama sent a secret letter to President Medved offering to give in on missile defence in Europe if Russia would help pressure Iran. Secret offers, letters and agreements have been around since politics have been- there is nothing new about them. I am glad though that President Obama realizes the threat Iran poses and is trying to get everyone on board in stopping them before Israel does something rash but really well planned and executed.

I don't think any President should be voicing an opinion about the markets and yet yesterday our President went out and told everyone "buying stocks is a potentially good deal if you've got a long term prospective." Well to quote Keynes "In the long run we are all dead."

I Had drinks with JS last night which was good as I have not seen him in quite some time and we have been trying to catch up since before the holidays. His job is crazy and not in a good way but he is moving and he seems excited about that and I hope it works out for him.

The tape today was just a bounce. Until the bank issue and the GE issue get resolved we will not be able to sustain a rally would be my guess.

I did read a story about securitized issues but did not understand it. Basically what I got out of it was that that they are going to de-securitize them partially and strip out the bad and/or toxic portions then re-securitize what is left. My question is where do the bad and/or toxic portions go? Who eats those loses?

I really can't abide the baby boomers. I would use the word hate but as I tell my sons that is a very strong word not to be used lightly. So I'll stick with abide. They are just so full of themselves- the word hubris comes to mind. As an example I read there is a university in the U.K. that is now offering a Masters of Arts in The Beatles. Seriously, I have had enough of the Beatles being the greatest band ever. They were the Back Street Boys of the late '60s. Let it go.

Tonight I had dinner with my bond manager friend. His firm and he in particular are knee deep in the bank stabilization plan. He had some really interesting things to say about the way the government is handling things. It was all off the record so that is all I'll say.

Tomorrow night I am having drinks with my date from the Senior Prom. she lives in the Hudson Valley and is going to be in the city. So we're going to catch up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So with you on the Beatles...Zeppelin was WAY better. Enough already.

Michelle