Wednesday, March 25, 2009

He's retired and doesn't like golf

Yesterday morning I did my short swim and short bike. I got out of the pool and was changing to go hop on the bike when the guy in the lane next to me came running in. He looked at me and asked if I was running. I said nope, bike. He asked if I was doing the spinning class, said nope and asked him which race he was doing. It's always nice to meet a fellow racer. He is doing one in Westchester in May. Told him which one I am doing. I then got down on the bike and thankfully the hot guy was in front of me doing boxing class- ooohh more squat thrusts.

Yesterday mom IMs me that dad is going to be running for a seat in the county legislature this fall. She then told me that when he was a young pup and they had just moved to my hometown he ran for public office and apparently got his ass kicked. Thankfully he is not competitive and it has not been bugging him for almost 40 years. I asked what ticket, of course he is running as a Democrat. I hope he wins as it will give him something to do other than bug mom.

My younger brother apparently broke his foot over the weekend while playing with the family dog in his backyard. He probably needs a cast but because he is the stubborn one in the family he does not have one. I told him he should at least get an aircast. I also asked how do you drive and what drugs are you on. He said very carefully and percocet.

We had the Share-A-Thon last night. The highlight of the night was the hot bartender from last time was there. I went up to get a beer and of course had a dip in. He asked what I was dipping. I told him my usual which is Skoal Longcut Wintergreen, took my beer and sat down trying to get someone to help me recoup my cost for the beach house. I went up for another later and he told me asked me where I was from. I told him upstate. He said he didn't see to many people dipping. He apparently uses Kayak. I asked where he was from. He is from the Land of 10,000 Lakes- that's be Minnesota. I asked him what brought him to NYC. He's a model- of course. So the rest of the night I teased the husband that the corn fed model/bartender was hitting on me.

So the gilt 40 year auction failed. Gilts are U.K government bonds. In this credit environment any 40 year paper is going to be a tough sell but for the U.K. to have a bond auction fail does not bode well for credit markets in general. I wonder if we will see any of the many upcoming UST auctions fail and if you think it can't happen you need to think again.

So China thinks there should be a new reserve currency. Turbo Tax Timmy nearly agreed with them today. All of this makes me wonder if we are just repeating what the U.K. went through between WWI and WWII when we displaced them as the world reserve currency. The final nail in that coffin was WWII.

Mom and dad are in town. They got her this afternoon, walked the kids and made dinner for us. I hit the gym after work, lifted and did my short run. The husband did his long run outside. We then played cards. Tomorrow they are going into the city to the Irish Consulate so dad can get his Irish passport. He is allowed to because his mother is right of the boat. Once he gets it I will then be allowed to get mine which is pretty cool. We are going to take them out to dinner tomorrow night and play cards yest again. Mom and the husband are always partners in cards and dad and I are.

No comments: