Sunday, March 8, 2009

If I knew French it would be called fait acompli...

Friday morning I actually got 13 miles done on the bike. I was psyched about that kind of distance.

Finally we had a nice quiet day on Friday. What I mean by that was a day that saw us close +/- 50 bps.

I saw a YouTube of Jon Stewart ranting about how the Childrens New Broadcasting Corporation basically sucks. I loved it and it was pretty funny. If you watch that asinine station google his clip about it. The only thing I didn't like was how it disingenuously made Rick Santelli look bad. He is the only good thing about that station.

The government, and particularly Bernake, keep saying they don't want to nationalize the banks and wipe out the current owners. Hello?? Shitigroup is basically at or below $1. You already own ~72% through a combination of preferreds and common. The market has wiped them out for you- be a man and make the hard decision and just nationalize the damn things. When I say the banks I really mean Shitigroup and BAC.

Friday I read several pieces about how President Obama thinks that by "fixing" health care, energy and education that the economy will right itself. They all said and I have to agree that what got the economy into this spot was not any of those things but rather a massive credit bubble. I think all of those topics could use help- particularly education- but spending massive amounts of money on them will not right the economy. Which kind of segues into my next thought...

We all have a right to pursue life, liberty and happiness. We have no guarantee on achieving all of them though. The government's job is to make sure we can all pursue those goals with limited interference not making sure we achieve them- that is up to each individual. The corollary to that would be we have the right to pursue owning our own home but not the guarantee of achieving that. Forcing institutions into making poor risk assessments so people who may not be able to afford house otherwise was not a wise choice in hindsight.

We had the boys this weekend. I picked them up Friday evening. In the truck I asked them if they wanted to have two Brother's Day in a row. Brother's Day was their idea last year. They asked their mother why there was a Mother's Day and Father's Day but no Brother's Day. she said fine, you can have one. Basically they get to be couch potatoes all day and relax, do nothing- a lot like any other day without them realizing it...Their response was that every weekend with me and the husband was pretty much like Brother's Day.

Saturday I got my taxes done and am getting a refund even though I got yelled at by my accountant for doing some foolish things this year. Afterwards we went to my brother's twin sons first birthday party. I am so fucking glad this will be the last one I have to go to as I find 1 year old birthday parties total circle jerks. They boys had fun as they got to see their cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents and run around like madmen on a playground.

I played crazy eights with my youngest this weekend. We split the series and the next weekend they are with us I told him we have to have a tie breaker.

The husband and I went and saw Watchmen tonight. It was long but really good and pretty true to the source. I have the original collection bagged and boxed in storage. I have loved the series since I first read it and what I am about to say may be viewed in some quarters as heretical: I hated the whole pirate story in the background of the book and am so psyched it did not make it into the movie.

1 comment:

Tim said...

if your saving your watchman comics to sell, sell them now, it's not like they can make a second movie...