Thursday, October 8, 2009

Catching up on a sick day

Last week was pretty damn busy and I did not have much time to post, so I am going to try and catch up with all my notes.

Mr. Clifford again is right. He made the comment years ago that it seems all construction guys are either fat and ugly or smokin' hot. I was walking back from picking up lunch I passed a construction site and there was this hot young guy- just my type, dark eyed and dark haired. He definitely checked me out too.

BBRG was running a story all day about UFC. Apparently they are coming out with action figures- since they are for guys they can't be called dolls. I want the Ryan Jensen action figure- ideally life sized.

I am kind of annoyed the government will no longer issue revisions and final figures for GDP. That is such a disingenuous way to manipulate the economy.

Apparently one of my favorite movies- Kickin' It Old Skool- made it on to the Rotten Tomatoes top 100 worst movies for the past decade. I think it is totally unjustified. I also went through the list and noticed a lot of movies I, the husband and the boys have watched and enjoyed made the list.

I am impressed with the tax code reform California has on the table. The only thing I can say is I hope it passes as is and that the rest of the States will follow. Although Maine is already ahead of everyone on tax code reform.

I have heard the song Fireflies a lot on AltNation lately. It's by Owl City. It's a catchy little tune but after the second time I am over it and am thinking it will go the way of John Mayer- actually more hoping.

Friday night the husband and I went and saw Zombieland. It was awesome. Let's pretend the husband and I are Men on Film (I am not the one wearing the little top hat, that would be the husband), we would give it the secret Zorro snap. There was a great extended cameo by one of my favorite comedians but that is all I can say.

Saturday I drove down to central Jersey to pick up the boys and take my oldest to his fall baseball game. They won and he did well. He got beaned his first pitch and took it like a man- I was very proud of him.

We then drove up to the in-laws house. We spent the rest of the day there and stayed over. The husband and I were going out to the beach house to close it down and move all of our stuff back over into his mom's crawl space. We did not re-sign the lease because the realtor and owner felt no increase was fair. We told them no we are thinking a 15% discount as the place is kind of falling apart. They declined, we walked. The coda to this is about two weeks ago the realtor called and asked if we were still interested in the house at our stated price. We said no. So next year we are just going to find a half share. I and the husband are a bit tired of always being the hosts for friends and family and having to run a house. It will be nice to meet new people and not be responsible for the house, gas, maid, pool, etc.

Saturday night my oldest and I stayed up and watched Wrong Turn 2, Dead End. It was sucha a cheesy flick but very gory. Of course I left the bathroom light on when we went to bed and my oldest came into the room around 2:30 AM to say he couldn't sleep.

On the way home I had a tire blow out in Staten Island right as I was exiting for the Outer Bridge Crossing. I called Mr. Buffet's company and they were excellent at getting someone to come repair my flat. I also now know how to get the spare down from under the truck. The guy who fixed everything told me I am about 3/4 done with my current tires and should get new ones. So I am doing that today later this afternoon since I am home sick.

I am in agreement with Paul Krugman that all the people who are busting President Obama's balls for going to Copenhagen to try and get the Olympics. One article I read put it in such a good context: Obama did not really have a normal college experience. So this was a road trip for him. Good for him. I can tell you though from experience that doing a road trip to support your team only to have the team lose makes for a shitty ride home.

A pretty well know hedge fund manager made a great comment about what I do for a living- trading. HE basically said PMs hire traders so they can shift the blame if they are wrong and that is what makes trading such a "treacherous job."

So don't call it stimulus but stimulative. The White House is probably going to do a stimulus 2.0. They are playing semantics though and saying that it is not a new stimulus package but an extension of the current one. They fail to mention that there will be new programs in the "extension" though so that to me makes it a new stimulus bill.

I took the PATH from Hoboken the other morning just because I was up kind of early and thought I might see some good morning eye candy. It was not worth it sadly. Yesterday afternoon I took it home as I was fairly certain- because I was drinking water all day yesterday- I would have to pee once I got off the PATH and Hoboken Station has bathrooms whereas Pavonia does not. I was right.

Have some kind of viral infection after consulting with my brother the doctor. Very sore throat, runny/stuffy nose, no headache. Mucus was clear. When I got home I used the netti pot, gargled with warm salt water, took my temperature (100.1) and went to sleep. The husband got home with chicken noodle soup for me. We had dinner, caught up on Fringe, took Nyquil and went to bed. I got up this morning and still had a slight fever so I called in sick. Have been sleeping all day with the kids on the bed- they are in Heaven. Got up, had the rest of the soup, more grapefruit juice and water and am no caught up on my posts.

No comments: