Monday, October 26, 2009

VCA Antech

So yesterday afternoon I dropped the boys off at their mom's house and drove back- as opposed to walking or running I guess. I had on my SIRI and I heard an ad fr one of their stations and they mentioned someone who is supposedly an psychic intuitive. What the fuck is a psychic intuitive? I mean is that basically admitting you are a fake and just make really good guesses based on reading a person's mannerisms and body language?

Last night we had JD and JW over for dinner. They had not seen our new home and we always enjoy spending time with them. We ordered in Chinese food and had a very nice evening topped off with left over pumpkin pie (and the awesome creamy, artificial goodness of Cool Whip).

So apparently over the weekend there was a decathlon of sorts held to determine the best athlete on Wall Street. I saw the article on BBRG on Friday and sent it to the boss and asked how we missed getting the nod? Anyhow, so this morning BBRG had the winner on and all I could say was VCA Antech!!! (That is a geeky Wall Street type joke, go look up the ticker for the company.) One Kyle Peterson one it. So of course I checked him out on BBRG- not quite google staling but close enough. Honestly he had a very inspiring back story and that helped his hotness even more.

I read a great article from Scientific American about how the problem with economics and economists not predicting the current crisis is that economics don't adhere to the laws of physics. The best line was "Neoclassical economics is inconsistent with the laws of thermodynamics." It was totally the kind of work I was taught to do at college. I forwarded it to JW as he is actually in grad school for economics (which I tried to warn him away from doing) and he and I agreed the problem with most economists is they really think they are scientists. They are not. They all seem to forget economics is a social science and they have completely turned their back on the social aspect. JW's comment is they based all of their scientific processes on 19th century physics and science and the whole notion of equilibria, etc. Well hello you guys- the 20th century saw a completely new paradigm for science. These guys never updated their scientific basis. So not only did they fail on the social aspect, they failed on the science aspect too.

Today's action speaks volumes of how fragile this 65% run the equity market had really is. I am also willing to bet that with Capmark filing for bankruptcy protection and the mainstream press starting to focus on Stuyvesant Town's owners about to default that everyone will now start getting worried about the CRE bomb that is about to explode on the bank balance sheets. I also find it telling that you are starting to see the feds lay the ground work for seizing failed financial institutes. Something tells me they are getting ready for a worst case scenario.

We got a new floor lamp. It is pretty cool and the husband mentioned to my youngest he likes it because it looks like a giant snake that has eaten someone and the body is still in it. We are almost done with furnishing the new place. We are getting delivery of a new sideboard this Friday- and lamps for it. After that all we have left are some shades for the master bedroom but that is going to have to wait until the spring.

It will be a busy week.

1 comment:

Tim said...

hmm wouldn't a 'psychic intuitive' just be a jedi?