Monday, August 24, 2009

I bent my 3/8" drill bit

Our new building has a hot doorman in the mornings. It made for an enjoyable start to the work day. The commute is now a bit longer too but that is okay- I've had longer commutes and in the big picture it really isn't something to carp about.

The first thing I noticed when I got back to work was that all the t.v.s had Fox News on. I asked a co-worker what the deal was and was told last week something went wrong with the DirecTV and that was all that was coming through. We got to see all the car chases and I loved it as the office has a decidedly leftist bent so it annoyed everyone, lol. All the t.v.s had the volume turned down.

The next thing that totally took me by surprise was a friend IMing me with the title of my blog. I almost fell out of my chair. I told him there are only two places he could have found the link to it but he dismissed that and explained to me how he found it. The funny thing is I had drinks with him and a co-worker of his several weeks ago and he told me about his blog. I did not mention mine as I did not think it would be his cup of tea. So a big shout out to BW.

I know my older brother reads this blog from time to time and works for a large communications company that also happens to be my wireless provider so I hesitate to write the following but the 3G I have right now totally sucks. I mean I live in the NYC metro area and it goes out on me all the time- WTF??? I am seriously considering switching providers once my contract is up.

This past Thursday I had drinks with a friend who used to work in the business and now has his own newsletter. Apparently he is also pursuing a dream of becoming a dj. He gave me a CD he had burned that was a mix. It was titled Stochastic which I found truly humorous. I put it on my iTouch and listened to the CD on the drive down to central Jersey Friday afternoon when I went to pick up my sons. It was pretty good and like he said is definitely something to listen to at the gym.

I think the PATH will offer more eye candy than the bus as it just has more volume. did not notice any this morning and none this afternoon but it is only the first day of the new commute.

This past weekend was a blast. I picked up the boys Friday and Saturday we went out to the in-laws. The mother-in-law made paella. My oldest is adventurous when it comes to trying new foods and he had two plates of it. Obviously he liked it.

We then spent the day on the small beach they have- they live on the bay. My oldest had a blast clamming albeit he did it in an unconventional manner. He swam out into the bay and just dove down, grabbed clams, put them in his pockets and brought them to shore. He got over forty of the buggers. His younger brother is still getting over his recent ear infection so he was neither allowed int he water nor did he want to go in as he was having fun collecting sea glass and checking the father-in-law's crab trap.

We watched Phantom Racer on SciFi Saturday night. It was pretty cheesy and good.

Sunday we took out the father-in-law's boat. We motored around the bay then my oldest and I jumped off near the clam beds in front of the in-laws house and tried to match his feat from the day before. We failed miserably.

The boys had a blast and told me they think we should go to the in-laws more often.

More unpacking tonight. The husband wanted to put some shelving up in the storage closet. So I got out my trusty drill and laid out where it would go. Funny thing about a new building- most walls are backed by concrete. On the final try of drilling to put some dry wall anchors my drill bit bent, flew out of the drill and almost took my eye out. I was not wearing safety glasses and all I could think of was it is all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

This weekend the husband is taking his sister up to college. I am going to the beach solo. Well not really. Mr. Barrett, Mr' Clifford and his bf CS and PF and Dr will be joining me out there. Several of us will be going to the underwear party. Other than that I imagine we will just hang by the pool. I know TK will be out there too so I may play Scrabble with him on the beach.

I noticed the White house increased their projection for the deficit. They increased it by almost one third. How do you miscalculate that number?

I think the idea of chaos theory and the whole butterfly flapping it's wings int he Sahara causing a hurricane on the east coast of North America is cool. I thought of it today when after the close Taylor Bean filed for bankruptcy. They were the 12th or 17th ( I can't recall and did not write it down) mortgage originator. I believe they had accounted for roughly 1.7-2.5% of all new recent mortgages. I really don't see how the government or any talking head on CNBC can honestly say with a straight face the housing market has bottomed and all is well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read that blog. Thanx for it. I like such themes and anything connected to this matter. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Best regards