Thursday, February 5, 2009

Not a big fan of the air kiss to the cheek

So I swam this morning. First it was fracking freezing walking from the Port Authority Bus Terminal to the pool. The water temperature was 82 degrees though so that helped a bit. The other thing that helped was the two other hot swimmers. One was in the pool the same time I was and the other was going in as I was leaving. In between I actually swam fifteen hundred yards which I was psyched about.

So the boss had an early morning with a broker. I did not know who it was he had in. After the meeting he walked them out and they stopped by the desk. O woman walked up and I held out my hand to shake hers when she went and gave me an air kiss on the cheek and kept going around the desk. I looked at the kid next to me and asked who the fuck was that? He told me and I started laughing as I had never met her before then. I told the boss and he burst out laughing.

I think the CEO of GE is smoking crack. He was quoted as saying he is prepared to run the company as a AA rated company and will still run it "philosophically" as if it were an AAA rated company. He claims he has a lot of cash to run the company. So he is saying he aint cutting the dividend. I have to imagine the government may think otherwise especially since GE Capital is now a bank holding company. They also took TARP funds. You figure it out.

Speaking of TARP if you still think the government didn't "encourage" certain banks take so as to make it all seem kosher and not panic everyone that only the ones in trouble needed it then read the CEO of COF's comments where he admitted the company did not need it but were encouraged to take it. Which leads me to the story about GS and MS both wanting to pay it back ASAP. The rules were if you took it the only way to pay it back in the first three years was to go to the public markets and raise an equivalent amount. Now it seems like GS and MS will get that pesky little rule waived. You have to ask, if you took the money, don't need it then you must not have used it, right? Then where is it? Sorry I don't believe that. If GS and MS get a waiver you can bet JPM will scream bloody hell.

I am becoming discouraged about the government again. Our President said he was going to be post partisan and yet it seems D.C. infects all idealists as we watch the whole stimulus plan fall prey to politics as usual. President Obama said the critics are touting old, failed ideas. So is the idea of a huge infrastructure build out paid for by our tax dollars a new, untested idea? Hasn't anyone heard of the New Deal which was implemented roughly seventy years ago? Is that not old enough?

Treasury Secretary Geithner got trashed on BBRG today, echoing many of my and a lot of other peoples thoughts- LOVED it!

I made dinner for the husband tonight to celebrate three years together. We then watched Supernatural. Tomorrow night we are going to the movies with Ragnar to see Push. I don't care if the movie sucks as long as Chris Evans is shirtless in one scene it will be great.

1 comment:

Tim said...

The only thing that bugs me, well the only thing that i care about, is this seeming desire to use fear to push an extra trillion dollar tax burden on the country. Weren't these the same people 6 months ago that decried using "fear" as a political tactic? I was talking with my grandmother who turns 92 this year, and we both started laughing about how politicians who can't pass a 2 trillion dollar budget without a year of haggling suddenly think that passing a trillion dollar spending bill in 4 weeks with no debate is the most important, clever idea they ever had.