Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Just catching up

Last Wednesday we had a commodities analyst in from GS which I thought was a nice corollary to my reading e are in. It was a really interesting meeting. It reinforced my belief that physical commodities are not a bad idea even if it means you just stock up on rice, dried beans and cured meats. Also small firearms and ammunition. Two interesting things I learned were that roughly 25% of the corn crop here goes to biofuel production and that 0% goes to soylent green production. It made me wonder what soylent green is made of???

On the back of that meeting China did two really interesting and bold moves. They loaned Russia and Brazil billions in exchange for locking in their oil supplies for 25 years. That can't be good for the Treasury market as that money now can't be spent to buy more of our debt.

So I have a good friend who is of a certain age- as in he served our country in Vietnam, helicopter pilot I believe. Oddly, he is still friends with most of the men he served with- I guess living through that would make those kinds of bonds. Several of his friends work for governmental agencies that are all initials. Apparently while I worry about places like North Korea and Iran they are all concerned about Mexico. It seems there is a serious possibility of outright war breaking out between the government and the drug cartels but that is no the scary part. What is scary is those in the know say it is too close to call which side would actually win the conflict if it broke out.

The Riverton is an apartment complex in Harlem. WFC is suing to force it into foreclosure for a measly $29 million. Could this be the butterfly who flaps its wings and sets off another storm in the credit markets if WFC wins? It would do something that all the banks don't want: set a price. That would force all of them to have to mark their books anew.

I noticed continuing jobless claims are approaching the 5 million mark. That is not a good thing.

I love validation from the White House. I have always said Rick Santelli is the only person to listen to if you feel the need to watch Childrens News Broadcasting Corp. He had a rant last week about how the stimulus plan is not new and rewards bad behavior. It's on youtube, I loved it. Saturday in the NY Daily News there was an article about how the WH press secretary singled him out as just a talking head who doesn't know what he is talking about. That is a very juvenile way to argue and makes me think he must be right if you can't come back with anything better than "Am not."

Some "expert" on t.v. this morning said the banks won't be nationalized but possibly put into passive receivership. WTF is that? It is nationalization. I really think at this point the government has no choice but to do it to C and BAC. At least the BAC people won't have to change their business cards.


I thought scanners went away? A friend from high school posted a bunch of pictures from the late '80s. I was in them and made the mistake of showing them to the husband. They were embarrassing but they did bring back good memories.

We had the boys this weekend. They had fun and more importantly it was the last weekend I had to make an extra trip between Hoboken and central Jersey as they have no more Saturday activities. Mr. Barrett was in town for Blow Up and he made his way over to Jersey for lunch Saturday and watched the BSG episode he missed that we had dvred. It was good to see him and he enjoyed his time in the city.

Sunday we had ST and PJ up for dinner. I had made dessert that morning while the husband went into the city to have brunch with his secret crush. When I pulled it out of the oven my oldest stated it smelled great and looked good how soon could he have a piece. I laughed and told him no, this is not for you. He was a bit dejected but I told him I'd make it for the next time he is in Hoboken. The funny thing is while I was taking the boys back to their mother's house the husband called and said the same thing. I told him no tasting it, it is for dinner tonight.

The husband made meatloaf but as is always the case with him it was not your mom's meatloaf. It was stuffed with baby spinach, carrots, prosciutto and provolone. It was freakin' amazing.

Last night on the spur of the moment we had MP over for dinner as she was in Jersey City for business. It was a nice relaxing dinner. It did however mean I missed my training for the race so today I have to make up yesterday and my regularly scheduled work out for today. We are having dinner with PF and DR so that will be easy.

2 comments:

Tim said...

the mexican war has already broken out, the question is how can the government win, when the gangs are more ruthless and better supplied and the people unwilling to back the government. Of course this begs the question, who is supplying them. All the arms come from the US and you can't tell me that they are completely unable to shut the border traffic down. Or at least track the sales by tracking the shipments from the manufacturers.

I think that the intelligentsia is now accepting of a short term bank nationalization, just as the public grows wholly against it . My concern is your theory that the gov't with nationalize all mortgages as well. Talk about a Pandora's box! Oh well it looks like Obama's team will have to use fun words like "passive receivership" to get the job done. *groans* Rookie mistake again, locking his options down without leaving a door to go through later.

Anonymous said...

Your 80's pics were "da bomb"!