Sunday, November 2, 2008

My husband is a design snob

The past two weeks have been crazy. Last weekend we celebrated my youngest son's birthday even though it was yesterday. I baked a cake and he got to pick dinner for the night. He of course picked chicken fingers. We ate dinner, turned off the lights. lit the candles and sang Happy Birthday. He blew all the candles out and we ate the cake and he opened his gift from me and my husband. He got Sim City Creator for DS.

This past week at work was very interesting. The Chinese had a curse- "May you live in interesting times." It's a curse because interesting times for Chinese historically meant lots of unrest and Chinese culture has valued stability over all else. I wouldn't mind work being boring for 10-15 trading days. Boring for me would be intraday swings of less than 150 bps. I doubt that is going to happen for a while though.

We went to two Halloween parties this weekend. The one Friday was in the city on Central Park West. It was a costume party. We dressed up as pirates. We borrowed proper pirate shirts from JP- he had them for a wedding. I ordered weapons from the internet- I had a proper cutlass, the husband had the dagger and flintlock pistol. We got all of our pirate jewelry from TGT except of the earring. We couldn't find clip on earrings anywhere until our friend PF said I should look at Claires Boutique and he was right.

JP stopped by on his way home to help us with our costumes and took pictures- I think he was taken aback a bit by how much we got into the spirit of the holiday. He was impressed by my boots and said he may have to borrow them some time. The husband asked how we were getting to the party and my answer was a big duh! We're pirates! So we took the ferry. Arrrggghed our way over to the dock and caught the boat. Lotta women were impressed with my boots. We went to TK's place and went up to the party with him. There were some seriously hot and scantily clad boys there.

At the party I was arguing with this major young hottie who was all blue and had a black X on his chest. I asked where is your tail? He said I am Iceman! I said no you are not- Nightcrawler is blue, Iceman is white. He was a bit drunk and was not having anything to do with it.

Saturday morning after it took us almost 2 hours to get home due to issues in the tunnels, we finished the painting in the aprrtment. Then we went to find a coffee table for our home. We went to the DWR Outlet and got a really good deal on a Noguchi coffee table. It was like pulling teeth to get the husband to agree with me on buying it. His concern was it is sooo common place these days. I looked at him and said you are a design snob. If the masses have it and it is a good classic design the fact the masses have it means you don't want it.

We took a nap when we got home after putting the coffee table together and doing some other stuff. We got up, put on the same costumes and trekked into the city again. This time we drove and we got home at a reasonable time .

Today I hung up the new light fixture in the boys and another photograph in there. Then the husband and I spent way too long hanging the new lighting fixture in the living room. It is really fucking cool but took us too long.

No comments: