Sunday, November 23, 2008

He KO'd me three times in a row

Friday the parent/teacher conferences went well and as expected- no surprises which as a dad you are always thankful for. The boys only had a half day so I picked them up form their mom's house and we went back to Hoboken. Their mom told me they needed new sneakers. They also needed button down collared shirts for the housewarming cocktail party Saturday evening. We stopped at TGT which is great for that stuff. The shirts were easy to get- on blue and one white oxford cloth shirt. The sneakers however were not as my oldest is in 6th grade and becoming conscious of this stuff. TGT did have Nikes. So off to Modells next door. The oldest found a sweet pair of Nikes that were on sale. The youngest picked out a kicking pair of D&C black faux suede laces ups. They were also on sale.

Friday also happened to be my birthday. So the husband got home and had the boys help wrap the gift he got for me. We then went out to dinner at this awesome German restaurant in town. We got back and I got to open my gift. The husband got me a Wii!!! They boys had been begging for one for as long as it has been available. I had been adamant about we didn't need one since they had one at their mom's house and a PS2. Secretly I was more concerned that I would end up playing it waaaay too much. He said "You have insisted you had to have one since the system came out." I think someone was projecting- actually I know someone was since I also got MarioKart- with two steering wheels.

Friday my parents called to say due to the snow they had gotten and the forecast for more they were not coming down for the party. I told them at their age I thought it was a smart thing they didn't drive in severe weather. Saturday morning at 9 my cell rang- it was mom saying it had stopped snowing so they were on their way. I guess I hit a nerve.

Saturday was a busy day. We spent the day cleaning up getting ready for the party. My parents arrived around 1:30 and I asked them if they would take the boys out to lunch so the husband and I could finish up our last minute shopping.

The party was a success I think. IT was actually good in that the boys did a great job. My oldest decided he'd rather handle the coat check duties than take pictures. So I was working the door and greeting guests and he would come out and ask if he could take coats. MY youngest would then come over and snap a picture of the guests. It was great.

Our home was packed. I almost told everyone to spread out and move towards the windows as they all congregated near the kitchen. I ended up giving a bunch of art tours. Thank God I know who all the artists on the wall are but I have no clue how to expound on influences and what not. The last guest were gone by 9:30, the boys played Wii and a couple who are friends showed up late due to a family event. They are the ones who's wedding we went to a few months back. We had a few drinks and caught up. When they left it was near midnight. I put the boys to bed and we cleaned up a bit and then went to bed.

This morning we finished cleaning and then played Wii. I suck at tanks, did ok with laser hockey, bowling and golf. Boxing however my youngest kicked my ass- he knocked me out three times in a row. MarioKArt was fun.

Thanksgiving means I will be travelling a lot this week. We are going up to my parents the Friday after Thanksgiving for my dad's 70th birthday party.

No comments: