Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The KLI sounds kind of interesting

Today was a dead day in the markets. It felt like a summer day in terms of activity. The only reason I knew it wasn't was because I could see my breath this morning and it got dark very soon after the close.

It was so slow that at one point a position trader sent out a BBERG asking if Dire Straits should be considered a top 50 rock and roll band of all time. It was an informal, unscientific survey. I replied duh, Sultans of Swing? Hello McFly? Apparently one of the other traders on the desk said no way. I said he was not a good sample as he is a Dead Head and that automatically disqualifies him in a clean and sober state. We (myself and and the MSCO trader) proceeded to have quite a pithy exchange in which I am sure I offended him by insulting Dead Heads everywhere by commenting I did not miss Gerry in the least. He proceeded to use the word fierce at which point I said totally Sasha like. That led to a discussion of music and the fact that I had just happened to read that Aretha Franklin was named the #1 rock and roll singer with Elvis coming in at #3. I think Aretha is great and one of the best but not one of the best rock and roll singers. He agreed and that led to me lamenting that John Lenon beat out Mick Jagger in the rankings. I can't stand the Beatles mainly because every baby-boomer raves about them and how they were he second coming. I personally think the Beatles sucked, they were the Back Street Boys of the '60s and the only good Beatle is a dead Beatle and we are halfway there to them all being good. he was stunned and I said if you tell a baby boomer that they get red in the face and near sputtering in anger. The follow up to that just when they are about to start about how every act after them owes them you quickly say "And did you know the moon landing was faked?"

I was a bit freaked out by what GE did today. In case you missed it their GE Capital division can now access FDIC insurance backing. This is a complete end run. The official reason is that GE Capital owns two banks already. Why would they need it? It is a bit scarier than AXP becoming a bank holding company. AND- where the hell is the FDIC going to get the $139 billion they said GE could access? I am starting to get a bit concerned that the r-word is not enough to describe what could be coming down the pipe.

I love wikipedia. I stumbled upon the KLI, also known as the Klingon Language Institute. It got me discussing Klingon with Mr. Barrett. He commented that I would probably like studying Klingon and he actually said a few words but deftly evaded answering if he was fluent in it. That lead to him revealing to me that Glen Larson- the creator of a bunch of hit shows such as Magnum, P.I. and the original BSG. The thing with BSG was it had tons of Mormon theology worked into it because Mr. Larson was a Mormon.

There was a really cute guy on the bus home today and he got off on the same stop as me but went the opposite direction.

I hit the gym this evening. There was the really hot dark haired guy with seriously sculpted face- and his body aint bad either. He is now called Waiter because we saw him working as one at a restaurant near our old apartment. He was on the elliptical in front of me and holy shit he has got a really hot ass. I had a very nice view.

1 comment:

Tim said...

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one wondering where the money is coming from. I think Amex must be in really bad shape, to switch thier business plan and make a desperate grab for dollars foretells a rather nasty picture for January.
I totally agree that the car manufacturers need a stiff dose of realism I am saddened that congress and Obama turned over so easily, egads, at least pretend like you aren't giving them 50 Billion dollars because the the teamsters helped get you elected.

Did it worry you as much as it did me that Paulson said there was no way he could give them any money out of the bailout billions? things are tighter than they are pretending.