Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Spring break

Spring break with the boys is half way done and it has been kind of relaxing and fun.

Friday night the husband and I cam down to the cottage and got cleaning done as we were having dinner guests Saturday night.  It was a good thing as we had  quite a bit of cleaning to do. 

I picked the boys up around lunch time Saturday.  They were psyched for the week off from school and hanging out at the cottage.  The rest of Saturday was spent finishing the cleaning and getting dinner ready.  I made my semi-famous triple berry pie with crumb topping.  This time though I used this all purpose gluten free flour for the crust and topping so I was a bit concerned as to how it would turn out.  It looked fine when it came out of the oven but we would not know for sure until we ate if for dessert.

I actually got to put to use my mad sewing skills from 9th grade home economics class.  The new sofa in the living room (which the husband found on sale at the outlet for 70% off) had a loose button because the button onthe opposite side was gone.  I took the boys with me to the fabric store, found upholstery thread and needles and a similar button.  I then sewed the new button on the back and attached it to the other button thus producing the tufting in the cushion and the husband was impressed.

I had recommended to our dinner guests that they take the train down and I would pick them up and then to take a car service home- that way they could both imbibe freely and not worry about the driving.  Their train was about twenty minutes late but that was not an issue as I had to get gas and liquor.

We got back tot he cottage as the sun was setting so they got a great view of the backyard and woods.  The husband then took them over to PJ and ST's gallery to see the art as they had expressed an interest and since they both work they thought maybe they could afford to start collecting- that was all the husband had to hear.  They were duly impressed with the gallery.

When they got back the wine was opened and started flowing.  I gave the guests a tour of the art the husband has hanging in the cottage while he did some more cooking for dinner.  I then got the husband's iPad out and gave them a little photo tour of what it all looked like when we bought the place and the work we did.  They were impressed with our skills in renovating the place and loved how it turned out.  One of the funnier lines of the evening was when the wife commented on how she loved the decorating we had done and the husband looked at her and said we haven't done any yet, that is next.

The husband made his awesome crackling pork loin, I made the dirty garlic mashed potatoes and we had a zesty asparagus side.  The meal was great, the boys were their usual well behaved (in front of guests that is) selves.  The funny part was when my oldest asked why someone was driving down the driveway.  It took us a few minutes to figure out it was our guests car service.  My oldest found it both odd that the driver had to wait out in the car. 

Sunday was yard work day.  We spent most of the day cleaning up the front yard and still did not get it all done but we have 12 tall paper bags of leaves sitting in the garage waiting to get taken away Friday morning by the waste hauling company.  If thy don't take them I am burning them all in the back yard in the old oil can the widow used for such things- totally breaking the law ha!

Sunday night I made pizza for everyone and the gluten free crust turned out pretty good but I have to say I will not be giving up gluten pizza any time soon.  Then we went and saw Insidious.  It is a great old school horror flick.  I say next to my youngest so he could grab my hand and cover his eyes whenever he felt the need.  I basically had my arm around him the entire movie and he actually fell asleep at one point.  It is definitely worth going to see.

Monday the husband headed back into the city to meet with a head hunter and go to one of his book clubs.  So the boys and I hung out and I did some more cleaning.  We then hit BK for dinner and I took them to see Sucker Punch- yes I had seen it with the husband but they wanted to see it.  The oldest thought is sucked, the youngest enjoyed it.

Yesterday was garage day...ugh.  We had basically been using the garage not for cars but as one huge dumpster, lol.  So we broke down all the cardboard boxes we had, cut them up and tied them up into large stacks.  All the small crap was put into contractor sized and thickness garbage bags.  i then loaded them all up into the truck and took them over to ST and PJ's dumpster and threw them in.  Then it was time to tackle all the large scrap wood from the demo we had done.  We removed all the nails and piled them up to one side along with more contractor bags of crap.  We then rearranged the work table, rearranged the peg board and made room on one side that the truck can be parked there if it gets backed in with both side view mirrors folded in.  Once ST and PJ's dumpster is emptied we will be putting the rest of the junk in it.  It was a tiring day.  The husband went out to dinner with ST and PJ and the boys and I had pasta and home made garlic bread- and I had several glasses of red wine as well.

Today is actually sunny and warm out so we will be hitting the local tennis courts to play doubles for a bit.  Tomorrow we hit the basement- that should not be too hard as it will just be organizing everything after we put together the heavy duty shelving we bought.

Thursday the husband is back into the city for his other book club and he will be staying over for that one since they definitely drink at that one, lol.

Friday we will be going to see Your Highness with ST int he afternoon and then having ST and PJ over for dinner to celebrate PJ's birthday.

Saturday we have Hanna on the docket to see and then we will celebrate my oldest son's birthday a week early as he will be with his mom that weekend.

1 comment:

jimbo said...

You see a lot of movies.