Thursday, March 31, 2011

Biases

I slept in kind of late this morning so I did not hit the gym before work.  The bus was ok, no one of note but it is getting better as spring is int he air and the hotties are returning.  I am starting back on the training treadmill next week as I have my annual triathlon coming up in June.

There was a one liner out early today saying that the EU will be banning any U.S. produced credit rating.  I wonder why they would do that unless it is because they don't like the fact that the ratings agencies have- better lat than never- found religion and starting getting honest/tough on the sovereign debt ratings.  Of course the EU came out- not immediately- and denied the story.  It is kind of funny and immature- you are downgrading us so your ratings are now illegal here- so there.

I believe I have written before I don't think Warren Buffett is all that he is supposed to be in terms of great investors.  The whole situation with his former lieutenant I think proves it.  The guy should have been fired and instead Buffett takes the stance that he has responded to the situation and any further questions will not be answered.  So much for the folksy, down home charm huh?

So this morning JW and Ragnar and I were discussing via email an article.  I had made a comment that quite possibly irked JW regarding biases and he commented we all have them.  Yes we do and part of my excellent liberal arts college edumacation was to recognize that and try to recognize your own.  They show up in all sorts of ways and a good number of them subconsciously.  How you ask questions,what questions you ask, how you interpret data, how you read articles, etc.  So, in the vein of fairness and full disclosure I will attempt to point out my biases:  I clearly lean towards the right on economic issues.  I believe I lean left on most social issues.  I believe I am right of center with an issue like social justice.  I have a bias against people who cannot accept that a situation they are in may be of their own making and is not always someone elses fault.  I have a bias against people who are unwilling to make the right choice because it is too hard or the possible consequences are daunting- I have been there and done it.  If I can do it I am fairly certain anyone else can.  I am sure there are many more and as I come to realize them or have them pointed out to me by friends and/or family I'll try to note them and try to see how they  are affecting my views and if they can be changed.  The ones I stated are the ones I think that shape my views and outlook the most but the whole point of many of my professors in college is many of your own biases, you can't see them and you don't recognize them.

Tomorrow night we are having drinks with our friend PS and SP.  then we were going to go see Insidious and go down to the cottage Saturday morning.  Well the best laid plans...(really don't know the rest of that quote and guess most other people don't as everyone seems to end it there).  Speaking with husbands step-sons tonight I find out his oldest had called him earlier to discuss seeing it and his youngest had volunteered to go along as long as he gets to sit next to me so he can grab my hand and cover his eyes whenever he feels the need.  As it stands now we will be going down to the cottage tomorrow night after drinks, get to cleaning the cottage Saturday and then the four of us will go see the movie Sunday.

The other movies on the docket for spring break are:  Sucker Punch, Hanna and Your Highness.

1 comment:

Tim said...

the best laid schemes of mice and men, gang afe agley, and leave us naught but grief and pain for promised joy.

*ode to a mouse by robbie Burns, forced to memorize by Mrs. Medincy in 10th grade english.