Sunday, March 20, 2011

Race day

Yesterday was actually a nice, lazy day as I had to rest up for the race today.  The husband and I went and saw Battle:  Los Angles.  It actually was not a bad flick at all but was similar to Skyline.  IT was a bit jingoistic and rah rah on the military but a good Saturday matinee over all. 

We walked back home and stopped at the local record shop- yes there is still one of those in Hoboken!- and picked up so new music.  Lykke Li, Peter bjorn and John and the new Strokes album.  The husband also got his latest Oasis fix- seller of them, they really just don't do it to me.  Then it was nap time for me.

Dinner was pasta yet again.  I never thought I'd say it but I think I am done with pasta for a while.  A whole week of it and as much as I love Italian food and I can't handle it anymore.

We were up at 5:30 this morning and I ate my oatmeal while the husband walked the kids.  Then it was right over to Dunkin' Donut, iced coffee and hopping on to the PATH.  There were actually a lot of other runners waiting for the train as well.  The husband was agape and asking WTF- how did he not get into the race?  Off the PATh and on to the subway.  We got off at 86th street and walked up to 99th were I was to start.  The husband gave me some goo to eat and I handed him my jacket and sweats then I hit the atarting area and took a leak.  The race took us around Central PArk and It was actually a really nice run.  I have to admit the latest bravehound mix- "Motor"- really helped set my mood right for the race.  It starts off really well with Sting's daughter singing and he mixed it well.  By the time I was out of Central PArk and running down 7th Avenue his track was over and I switched over to the list I had created for the race and hit shuffle.  Of course the first song was "Firework" byKaty Perry; don't ask me how but that happened but it did an dit kept my mood going great.  At mile 10 I grabbed more goo and that helped.  What also helped is that at every fluids station I drank some Gatorade.  I really did not hit the wall at all.  I was trying to ignore the clocks as I did not want to really know how well I was or was not doing.  By the time I was 800 meters out I was wondering how the hell am I gonna find the husband as the crowds were getting huge.  I crossed the finish line at 1:54 minutes which got me totally psyched as it was 4 minutes off my official last time and I knew that I did not cross the starting line until about 4 minutes after the official start so I was thinking I made it under 1 hour and 50 minutes.

We got home and I logged on to the race sight to see my official time- 1:49:21!  Woo hoo!  I shaved almost ten minutes off my first race.

The rest of today will be vegetation.  I did notice however that we and our allies have started the air war in Libya yesterday.  That should make for an interesting market tomorrow.

No comments: