Saturday, March 12, 2011

Family weekend

The rain Thursday night seemed more like a hurricane.  I seriously thought the windows in the apartment were going to blow out like a scene from some action movie.  The husband was down at the cottage though and we were concerned there might be flooding in the basement but we did not have any thankfully.

The weekend will be quite busy as my younger brother, his wife and three kids are coming to visit.  They were supposed to get here last night but we ran into a snag.  My oldest called me late yesterday afternoon to inform me he had a mild case of strep throat.  I sent my bro a text telling him and as he is a doctor he said even though he is most likely not contagious at this point we'd wait until my oldest had been on antibiotics for 24 hours before exposing his kids.  The husband was not too happy either and was concerned he'd get sick so he spent the night across the street at  PJ's house.  Anyhow, they will be here this afternoon.  The husband is a bit stressed having 9 people and three dogs here, lol.  We have three dogs because we are dog sitting for my mother in law who is in France visiting her in laws.

Tonight we will all be going up to my other younger brother's house for dinner.  they live in a nice townhouse about thirty minutes north of the cottage.  It will be packed I imagine as there is a lot of family in for their sons' third birthday.

We hung bird feeders up in the backyard last week.  We are getting a lot of finches, sparrows, blue jays and cardinals.  It's pretty cool and we have not yet had a big issue with squirrels but give it time...

I read an article yesterday about an astrologer who says the super moon on March 19th is going to cause all kinds of problems.  Apparently the moon will be at one of the closest points to the earth in centuries.  Said astrologer is predicting all kinds of natural disasters along with zodiacical ones.  I thought it was funny and it reminded me of a strategist in my line of work who based all his investments on astrology- Arch Crawford I think it was.  I forwarded it to the boss and others on the desk as a joke.  I then read how Dennis Gartman- a rather well known strategist- was claiming the same thing.  Really?  Although one has to wonder especially after the disaster in Japan. 

Speaking of Japan, the whole nuclear situation there is not good.  I am having China Syndrome flashbacks and I am sure the Japanese government is underplaying the situation as well.  The one thing that kind of made me think how fracked up my line of work is was reading all the emails before I got in about what companies will benefit most and which will get hurt the most.  JW pointed out that should be expected for my work but he noted that even the MSM was focusing only on the economic issues and not the human issues of the disaster.

Duncan Jones.  Quite the woofy, sci-fi movie making geek.  He also happens to be the son of David Bowie.  Mr. Barrett pointed out that he had typical British teeth though and that was a turn off.

I always joke about the zombie apocalypse yet it seems it is conceivable.  I read how down in Brazil scientist have discovered zombie ants.  It seems there is a fungus there, that when the ants are exposed to it the fungus takes over their bodies, makes them find a new place to plant the fungus spores and then the ant dies.  I wonder what would happen if humans were exposed to the fungus and what is preventing the fungus from being content with just ants?  I mean the movie Arachnophobia was also predicated on creatures from the Amazon creating havoc up here.

No comments: