Thursday, March 17, 2011

Is it too early for Godzilla jokes?

This past weekend was a blast.  The husband was very worried and stressing about having nine people in the cottage but it was actually a great family time.  Granted, Friday night we had a kink as my oldest called me in the late afternoon to inform me he had a mild case of strep throat.  I immediately spoke with my brother the doctor (the smart one) and he told me they'd stay in a hotel Friday night because once my oldest was on antibiotics for 24 hours he'd be fine. 

They arrived around 1 PM Saturday afternoon.  We took them all the children and the kids out for a walk in the woods, going all the way back to the canal.  It was fun and the deer carcass from several weeks ago was still there for everyone to take a gander at.  then we all went up to my other brother's townhouse north of us for a big family dinner.  My parents were there, my brother's in-laws and all of us.  It was fun.  Saturday night all the children went to bed rather early and the adults sat up having some wine and beers.

Sunday we actually stayed down at the cottage and went out to dinner with PJ and ST.  The only thing that sucked about that was I had to get up pretty early to get back to the apartment and have time to shower and get dressed for work.

The only thing that sucked was the air mattress we slept on.  The husband insisted on giving our room to my brother and his wife.  We have two air mattresses.  The husband told me one was a double and the other a queen.  I told him to give the double to the nephews - they had sleeping bags and slept with their cousins in the room.  The husband said fine, as he had fixed the leak in the queen air mattress.  Two things- the second air mattress was not a queen, it was a mere double.  Second, there is apparently more than one leak in it.  We found this out early on in the night and had to keep reflating the damn thing.  By the time I looked at the clock on the tv and saw it was 3:46 and I was still sleeping poorly, I rolled over and told the husband there was no way in hell I was doing an eight mile run Sunday.

The title may seem crass and in poor taste- actually it is- but it gets to the point of the seriousness of the whole Japan situation.  My line of work is filled with cynical, jaded, crass people where nothing is really sacred.  I mean I was getting pictures of Gary Coleman's coffin ( a large Coleman cooler) within a few hours of his death.  The fact that there are no jokes of any sort going around on Wall Street tells you how serious this is.

I am of the mind set that there really is no difference between a partial meltdown and full on meltdown; it seems to me like pregnancy or virginity- there is no partial, you one or the other, plain and simple.

I have been enthralled with the whole process of the Japanese trying to cool down the reactors.  The helicopters all seem to be missing but that was before the radiation levels got too high for them to fly near the reactors.  The water canons don't seem to be doing it either.  I really think the Japanese need to get some Egyptian or Saudi security forces in there to show them how to use a water canon...those guys are experts with them as we have seen recently.

In case you were wondering, Japan is really just the distraction.  Every ones eyes should be on Bahrain.  We are seeing the start of a Persian-Arabic war there.  Hell, Saudi officials have admitted Bahrain will be a proxy war between them and Iran.

So, we now have Saudi security forces on the ground in Bahrain.  We now have Iran saying they really have no choice but to intervene- ostensibly for humanitarian purposes and to support the protesters who want democracy.  We have our 5th Fleet based in Bahrain.  Hmmm, starting to look tricky.  Well if we decide to support the democracy protesters there- like we are in Libya- we piss off the Saudis.  If we support the Libyan  rebels who want democracy but not the ones in Bahrain then we have not changed as hoped and are still supporting autocrats solely for oil.  What to do?  I also see a no fly zone has just been declared over Libya- that we can say was all France and the U.K.'s doing- which it is.  Still- how can and do we reconcile supporting proponents of democracy everywhere but Bahrain?  I don't have the answers but we really need to figure this out.

My secret boyfriend at work got a hair cut- he looks dreamy with his hair high and tight.

My race is this Sunday.  Really not looking forward to it, I just know I will hit the wall at mile 8 again- ugh.  The one good thing is I have gotten to eat pasta and pizza almost all week.  I also made a new list for my iPod for the run.  I have a bit over two hours of music.  I actually bought Katy Perry's "Firework" for the list.  I will admit that it is a completely bubblegum cheese song but it is upbeat for a run.

No comments: