Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A fantasy land

It was a bit cold this morning.  Thankfully the husband had found all the winter gloves and I did not have to wear my running gloves; I had nice, thick, fleece lined ones.

The bus was a bit annoying this morning as a rather large boned guy decided to sit next to me and he was definitely crowding me and invading my space.

On this day 37 years ago the United States deemed that homosexuality was no longer a mental illness.  Yet it would seem many citizens still think it may be or is a mortal sin damning homosexuals to the eternal flames of the deepest pit in Hell.

I am getting somewhat annoyed at all the babbling heads on tv- including former President Clinton- who keep talking about the huge pile of cash U.S. companies are sitting on.  Hasn't anyone heard of double entry accounting?  They are only focusing on one side of the balance sheet.

You know when Governor-elect Jerry Brown tells Californians they have been living in a fantasy land and are in for some tough choices things have got to be bad.  I recall the guy as always being a bit of a nut job.  Maybe it is appropriate that they need to hear it from him.

So last night my oldest and I had a really good heart to heart talk.  When I spoke to them I reminded my oldest that he needs to keep working on his grades because even though he is not a big fan of school it is important.  I ended the conversation with asking him if he is smoking pot.  I explained to him I had read an article on BBRG discussing how 8th, 10th and 12th graders are all smoking cigarettes less but more pot.  After I hung up he sent me a text saying he was pissed I was accusing him of getting not great grades because he was smoking pot and assuming he was retarded to be doing that.  I immediately called him and told him that is not at all what I meant.  I told him I do not think he is but when I read how more and more 8th graders are smoking pot I was concerned.  We spoke for a good half hour and he asked questions about my history with pot, etc.  I explained to him that pretty much everyone he is related to except for his grand parents have tried pot.  I explained to him I and his mom are fairly certain that he will too and what we don't want is him lying to us or pot to end up having negative impacts on his life.  I told him bad grades are not the only negative impacts and there are a host of other consequences including breaking the law.  The conversation meandered into choosing the right friends, etc.  It went on for a good forty minutes.  I hung up, logged onto my computer and BBRG, found the story and emailed it to him and apologized again.  He told me we are all good and I explained again it is not that we don't trust him but we care about him.

So, a few months ago I got coerced by so-workers into joining the lottery for the NYC Half Marathon.  I figured sure as it is the NYC Half that my chances were slim.  Today the results were released.  I was the only one who got accepted.  WTF???!  Seriously.  Not only did I get in but it is in frackin' March.  So now I need to train through the winter.  Not funny or good but I don't really have many options.

No comments: