Thursday, June 5, 2008

Spider-man, Spider-man

Thursdays are CMG for lunch days- every Thursday, rain, snow or shine. We usually leave at 11:40 to beat the crowds. Today the other guy on the desk who goes with me is out, so I am solo for lunch. We were fairly busy so I left about 10 minutes later than usual. There was a small crowd starting to gather out on the street and some of NY's Finest. I looked up and someone had put a green banner on the side of the building.

I went on to CMG, got lunch and came back to find the entire block- and then some- cordoned off and a massive crowd. I looked up to see the guy who had put was continuing to climb the building. I had to duck under the yellow police tape (and yes Judas Priest's "Breakin' The Law was going through my head) to get back into the building. The guy stopped outside our floor- the 47th. Tons of people snapped off pictures with their cell phones- I was not one of them. One of the guys actually sold his immediately to the Post and the Times. I forwarded it to a lot of people on my email contacts and then the ex-wife so the boys could see it.

The guy was protesting global warming apparently. He has climbed buildings before and is famous for it. He is also French. I have to think he ruined his carbon footprint today due to the fuel and energy the cops and firemen spent and all the idling of buses, cars and trucks he caused by having traffic stopped for a hour for a two block radius.

I got home and found out there was a copy-cat climber. Only in New York...

The husband has officially become the favorite in-law of my parents. I know this becaause they signed up for a class in conversational Spanish. To make it even funnier, last night my brother called them, my mom answered in Spanish and he thought he dialed the wrong number so he hung up.

Out in California there will be poop powered cars soon. I read it on BBERG. The sweage from the treatment plants will be used to power fuel cells for cars.

This morning I was supposed to swim for a hour. The pool was crowded and the lifeguard told me I had to stop. I had fifty minutes in so figured no big deal. I was getting dressed to go to work when this cute suit and tie guy came in and put his Speedo on and went to the pool.

No comments: