Monday, July 11, 2011

Untitled post

Last week ended quite busy. Thursday night the husband and I had drinks with an old friend- one of the hosts of the Super Bowl party we met at- and caught up and then we headed over to PF's birthday party.  It was a rather late night.

Friday was quite an interesting train ride down to the cottage after work.  It seems some rather rude person decide that it would be much more efficient to throw him or herself in front of a train on NJ Transit, thereby ruining his or her chances for entering Heaven (suicide is a mortal sin I was taught) but also many peoples Friday commutes home.  What is normally a 49 minute train ride home became a two hour ride home.  So I had the husband make dessert and I took a cab from the train station to the cottage.  Then I rushed to pick up the boys.  Dinner with ST and PJ was excellent, the husband made St. Peter's fish and even more momentous my youngest son actually ate it!  This is a kid who will not eat anything that is out of the four food groups- peanut butter, waffles, pizza or bagels.  I was quite surprised.

Saturday was quite busy as well.  The husband and I had to get dinner ready for our guests so the boys went to see a movie with ST.  He took them to see Horrible Bosses which was quite ironic as the boss and his wife were joining us for dinner.  dinner was excellent.  We made grilled leg of lamb in a red wine, shallot and grainy mustard marinade,  roasted summer veggie salad (zucchini, summer squash, tomatoes and basil) and roasted red potatoes (with rosemary and garlic).  Dessert I went out of my comfort zone and made a peach pie.  It was quite a hit except I did not have any Cool Whip or vanilla ice cream.

The dinner conversation was quite lively.  My youngest was quite the font of useless information as he found an app on his phone that is all about trivia.  All night he was spouting facts and it got to the point were the boss's wife went to the bathroom, texted her 12 year old son to get the same app and then came back to the table and a trivia throw down ensued.  It got to the point where I blurted out "Did you know the human brain weighs 8 lbs?"  That ended the trivia throw down. 

The only thing that was off was the oldest son asked to be excused from the table and promptly went to bed without telling anyone.  I castigated him Sunday morning that going to bed when the guests are still here is ok but he needs to say good night to everyone before he lays his head down to sleep.  The highlight of the dinner though was the boss asking to see the lawn tractor and admitting he is envious of it.

Sunday afternoon we took the boys to see Transformers 3.  It was a bit longer than it should have been but it was excellent and my favorite line was Sentinel Prime referencing the Kobayashi Maru.  If you know who the actor is it is freakin' brilliant! 

Mike Vrabel is totally woofy.  HJ is pic was on YHOO this morning and a story about him retiring early from the NFL.  Mr. Barrett was ind to send me some more pics of him.

My oldest was all psyched about his upcoming pay check.  He told me how much he made for the first week of work and I asked him if it was net or gross.  He looked at me quizzically and I explained to him the concept of payroll taxes.  No political discussion ensued thankfully as I want him to find his own way to a political identity and try not too sway him too much. 

I am not a baseball fan in any way, shape or form.  But I have to admit Jeter getting his 3,000th hit was pretty cool.  I believe only 27 others have done it and he is the first Yankee.  What I found more interesting was the kid who caught the ball willingly and without any expectation returned it to him.  His humility and lack of what's in it for me attitude sets quite an example fro many in this country.  It was almost selfless which is really nice to see in this day and age.  Let's hope it is contagious...

I had quite an excellent discussion with JW today and it left me with more questions than answers.  Basically I need to determine what exactly is a right as in something inalienable and universal for all humanity regardless of gender, skin color, religious belief  or geographical location. 

Looking forward to seeing the final installment of Harry Potter.

No comments: