Wednesday, July 6, 2011

I am the wingman...

The weekend was real busy and fun but so not relaxing.  The husband drove out early Friday morning to his parents house with the kids.  He called me later in the morning after he spoke with my mother in law to inform me that the weekend we were expecting to relax was a pipe dream.  My mother in laws in laws were coming for a visit.  The were arriving from France.  They did not speak a lick of English.  Ok, cool, no big deal, I don't speak French really so I could just sit there and look pretty.  But wait- there's more...apparently the mother in law was also hosting an engagement party on the 4th of July for the husband's niece.  so basically we got shanghaied into working the kitchen all weekend for the entertainment.  Don't get me wrong- I enjoy manning the grill and helping out my mother in law but it was not what I was expecting.  I was completely exhausted by Monday around 4 PM.  We drove back to the apartment in JC and were totally psyched to realize that the NYC fireworks were on the Hudson that night.  It was a bit bittersweet as the lease is up at the end of August and we are moving to the cottage full time so it was the last time we got to take advantage of the balcony.

In case you forgot- Greece is going to default and it will end badly.

Today I felt just a bit older than usual as my oldest son started his first summer job.  he is working for his mother's boyfriend.  I found out last night when I called to speak with the boys and my youngest told me his older brother was in bed already as he had to get up at 5:45 AM for his job.  I burst out laughing and my youngest said  yeah, that was the reaction he has too.   I did exchange texts with my oldest today- he had a chicken salad sandwich at the local deli for lunch and he was done with work around 3 PM.

So, I had a business dinner tonight but it was with someone who is also a friend.  It is funny as we discussed how life was treating each other and when it was his turn he commented that I am like the vault/confessor.   He stated he can tell me anything and he knows it is like telling a secret to a tree- it goes nowhere.  I felt kind of proud I have to admit.  He then spilled his guts on almost everything and we got into quite a philosophical debate on the differences between abortion and use of the morning after pill.  At that point- thank god- his phone vibrated and he read his text.  he then asked me if I would be his wingman for an unplanned blind date.  I said when?  He said in about thirty minutes.  With the husband down at the  cottage I said sure.  I mean what's the harm in a gay guy like me playing wingman to a straight guy who is good looking, young and single in NYC...

Ok, I think the chick liked me better until I started talking about the husband, lol.  Then she was all over my friend.

This week is going to be quite a busy one.  I had he biz dinner tonight.  he husband has drinks tomorrow night.  We have drinks followed by a good friend's birthday party Thursday night, Friday night I am down to the cottage for dinner with ST and PJ and the boys are with us this weekend, Saturday afternoon ST, the husband, I and the boys are probably going to see Bad Teacher and Saturday evening the boss and his wife are coming down to the cottage for dinner.  No rest for the weary...

No comments: