Tuesday, May 31, 2011

OCD lite

Memorial Day weekend- the official start of summer for us adults who have full time jobs and have done shares on the Shore, in the Hamptons or in the Pines- was quite fun this year.

The best part of course was spending the long weekend with the boys, the in-laws and my younger brother's family for Sunday brunch- more on the brunch later...

The 2nd best part was I got to drive my 22 hp, 46" dual blade cut, hydrostatic, 8" turning radius lawn tractor.  My brother the doctor (the smart one) asked if I listened to Kenny Chesney.  Duh!  Frack no!  I did listen to music but it was bravehound's Faster Still mix check it out, google bravehound- he is totally dreamy btw).  It was all going smoothly until (due to the meadow like conditions of the yard) I missed the black plastic drainage extension and ran it over gouging a huge chunk out of it making it virtually useless.

The 3rd best part was getting to use my grill- both sides, the charcoal and the gas- for dinner two nights in a row.

I picked the boys up Friday after I made dessert- chocolate cake with homemade peppermint butter cream frosting in the middle and dark chocolate frosting with blackberries on top.  When we got back to the cottage I fired up the gas side of the grill and threw on some sausages and poussin.  the boys and ST- being the juveniles they are- made jokes all night about the sausages and how ST clearly liked his sausage black.  I was constantly scolding them as my in-laws were dining with us and the husband just kept chugging his wine and stayed red faced the entire dinner, lol.  When ST and PJ left, PJ commented that the boys are not as naive and innocent as he thought.

Saturday morning I explained to the boys I would be cutting the backyard and because it was a meadow I would need them to rake it up and it would need a second cut.  I told them I would pay them $20 each for three hours of raking.  My youngest piped u that that was not even minimum wage to which I calmly replied it was on a tax adjusted basis as he we netting $20 for three hours of work which worked out to roughly $8.50/hr.  I then followed up with I could make the do the raking for free if I wanted to so take the offer.

I then spent the afternoon raking with the boys for a hour after it took me roughly two to complete the first rough cut.  I told them they could do the rest of the work Sunday or Monday and promptly handed them each $7.  My step father-in-law scoffed that I should have waited 'til they were complete before paying them anything, lol.

Saturday night I fired up the charcoal side of the grill and we had good old fashioned cheddar cheeseburgers and hot dogs.  Of course we had ice cream for dessert.  We then watched The Rite.  Colin O'Dongohue was quite hot in the flick.  The movie was pretty good for its genre as well.  My youngest decided not to watch it and went to bed early.

We also had all fresh veggies all weekend.  The husband asked me what I thought of joining the local produce co-op at the farm across the street.  I had been in one before in my first marriage and had fond memories of having fresh, local, organic produce all summer and told him yes, done deal!  He was shocked as he thinks I am anti-vegetable.  I told him au contraire.  I love fresh produce.  So we had lots of greens this weekend- bok choy, arugula, kale, broccoli florets, collard greens and broccoli rabe.  I really can't wait to see what kind we get for this weekend.

Sunday was very lazy as the heat- what happened to spring btw?- was almost oppressive and we do not have our a/c hooked up (we had to disconnect it back in December when we were putting in all the new kitchen appliances).  So once we get the electrical panel upgraded- hopefully by the end of June- we will have the a/c back working.  

Monday morning I put the boys back to work early to finish their indentured servitude  their three hour commitment for raking. That pretty much finished them up by lunch time, I made them shower and I got them back to their mom's house by 2 PM for her Memorial Day barbecue.  I then went back and continued raking for another hour or so until the husband said it was time to take a dip in PJ's pool.  That was very refreshing.  We were there for about a half hour and then back to the cottage only to discover we had guests.  The husband had mentioned friends may be in the area Monday afternoon and stop by.  The had just arrived when we got back.  I was horrified and looked at the husband hissing "Didn't you confirm this???"  He looked appropriately abashed and meek.  Our guests then apologized that they had not gotten back to the husband confirming their visit.  So, instead of doing a brick for training we sat on the screened in porch and had cheese and crackers and went thru two bottles of champagne, lol.  It was quite relaxing and nice until we hear someone knock at the front door and identifying themselves as the police.  WTF???  Apparently the oldest dog had somehow snuck out of the house and traipsed about a quarter of a mile down the road to be found by a cyclist.  Said cyclist called the number on his license but our cell phone were in the bedroom not with us on the porch.  Thankfully the officer- who was smoking hot- explained the situation asked to come identify the dog.  Yep, there was our oldest dog, siting in the back seat of the police cruiser with that "Hi, did i do something wrong" look on his furry face.

Brunch Sunday kind of pissed me off.  My sister-in-law and the husband set the time for 11 AM.  So we of course were all set for our guests to arrive at the stated time only to get a text message- mind you not a phone call- at 11:06 from them saying they were just leaving.  Roughly 45 minutes later they showed up.  Now I have been there with young kids and know that it is not always the easiest thing to get them ready when you want them to be and get going on time but that means you knew at roughly 10:30 you were not going to be on time and you could have sent a text then.  I really was not in the mood to comment on the whole situation to my brother as he can sometimes get overly sensitive about things like that at times.  But, when you are not even out of the house at the time you are supposed to be somewhere a phone call is in order not a text message.  The husband knew after they left I was pissed and tried to assuage my anger but I just needed to be angry for a while.  It was great seeing them though and their boys are really cute and my sons had fun with them.

Brian Stann- holy woofiness!  Not only is he a Marine (apparently all Marines are bottoms too according to Mr. Clifford) but he is a war hero who served in Iraq and a smoking hot MMA fighter who had quite an impressive win this weekend. 

I have been watching Game Of Thrones on HBO mostly because my secret mancrush at work is a huge fan of the book series and told me I would love it and should watch it.  It is pretty good even though it had a somewhat similarly slow star a la Boardwalk Empire.

So last night I read how supposedly Greece is essentially going to give up its full sovereignty and allow outside international forces bureaucrats to take over basic government services.  Really?  Why did you even bother fighting the Ottomans for independence  let alone the Third Reich?  I personally think if that happens you will see extremely violent civil unrest in Greece- not just everyday violent civil unrest that goes on now in response to austerity measures but is ignored by the MSM as the MSM is fully co-opted by the internationalist financial oligarchs running everything.

I think at times I have some mild form of OCD.  What leads me to this conclusion is the following situation:  The third stall in the bathroom at work.  The coat hook on the interior of the the door.  It is always coming loose for some reason or another.  So when I happen to use it and I notice it is loose the first hing I do- even if I am about to crap my pants- is take out my Leatherman Micra and open it to the Philips head screwdriver and tighten the damn thing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeh, all marines are bottoms