Monday, October 18, 2010

This song just keeps on giving...

This weekend was quite industrious.  The husband and I started to install the hardwood flooring in the foyer, hallway. living room and dining room.  My step-father-in-law was there to help us start the project as it is all important that the first three rows are in straight and they need to be hand nailed in; the husband thought we could use the nail gun we borrowed and I told him the pre-finished bamboo flooring manufacturer said it could damage the planks.  It did on the first one he nailed in.  So it was all hand nailed on the first three and I got to use my nail set- which the step-father-in-law was impressed I actually owned.

The table saw also impressed the husband's step father; it is the same portable one he owns and he is a cabinet maker/carpenter.  It also generated a shitload of sawdust, as in by the end of the day Saturday my snots were basically all sawdust.  We ended Saturday when we got to the front door and I was fried and couldn't fully get the process figured out.

I sent pics to a bunch of friends and family.  I really don't know why they are all shocked and awed- seriously, can't all gays handle hard wood with ease?

Sunday we really made some great progress.  I had to buy a jig saw to get some of the cuts done.  I also got stuck having to do the remainder of the foyer and the hallway which is a lot of precise cutting and hand nailing.  We got half the square footage done- I know that because we started with 41 boxes of planks and used 20 of them.  I got home last night and was so frackin' sore.  There were muscles I did not know I had or hadn't used since my days as a union construction laborer throwing 105 lb. jack hammers around.

I ran 4 miles this morning and again paid the price for all the manual labor I did over the weekend.  I listened to my half marathon play list and again Carmine Burana keeps giving me all these great insights.  I definitely heard "Dorks use blue tooth" and "Pimps drink Grey Goose."

The bus was a none event this morning.

One has to wonder.  The government owns GM- no matter what semantics they use to obfuscate the issue.  Why don't they force GM to spin off OnStar as a separately traded public company and then anyone who buys a car could go and sign up for OnStar?  I used to own a Tahoe and it had OnStar- OnStar actually rocks.  If I could subscribe to it in my Toyota pick up truck I would.

Brothers are funny.  Last night after I had been home for about 5 minutes I noticed I had a missed call from the ex.  The voice mail was a cryptic call me.  I call her and find out she and the boys are in the emergency room.  Apparently my oldest was getting annoyed by his younger brother and pushed him or reacted in some other physical manner.  My youngest fell and hit the back of his head on the kitchen chair, gash resulting.  they went to the doctor who looked at it and he said he needed a stitch.  He ended up receiving two staples instead.  I spoke to them both and stressed to my oldest that a physical reaction is not acceptable.  The only thing I was really annoyed at was the ex was not home when this happened and left her phone in her car.  Thankfully the boys are smart, called their grandmother who lives two blocks away and she took care of everything.

This week is frackin' busy.  Tomorrow night I have drinks with a Japanese business associate who is in town.  Wednesday night the husband and I are going to see Phoenix.  Thursday night I have a surprise birthday party to go to for a friend in the business.  Friday I will go down to the cottage again after work, the husband and I are having dinner with my friend who lent us his tools and his wife.  Saturday more work on the cottage and then Sunday we are seeing Muse in concert.

No comments: