Saturday, July 31, 2010

Thomas? Um, yeah sure, you can call me Tom

This week went by rather fast.

I got all my training done, total running for the week was fifteen miles.

The dojo- sweep the leg!- was good this week as well.

Tuesday night I had drinks with a guy I grew up with. It was interesting. he and I weren't really friends and definitely did not run in the same circles but our parents are very good friends- actually more our moms (they play in a bridge group/gossip circle every week). He has been in the city since graduating from high school, the whole theater scene, spent a long time over in Europe then moved back here and decided he was going to get his MBA. Funny guy, in a sailing club i the city, has a boat of his own as well. We'll probably have him over for dinner some time.

Thursday was sort of busy too. Met with an Aussie broker who was in town for a short period of time, then met the husband down in Chelsea for a drink. To explain why we were meeting there: The husband owns a piece of art that hangs in the den above the couch. It's by an artist In Sook Kim. She works mainly in photography. It's a great scene of a hotel at night with all of the windows showing a scene by itself. In Sook was in town and having a party. She invited us to it. She is this sweet, tiny Korean woman. Really nice but if you have ever seen any of her work you know she is one twisted person, lol.

After the party we met up with one of the husband's oldest girlfriends and her husband, children and brother. The best part of that is apparently she is friends with this famous (in some circles) designer who has the same name as me. So when the husband introduced me to her it was quite amusing. It gets better. Said designer who share my name was meeting us there later as well. He got there, we introduces ourselves and he did not believe me so I had to show him my license. And for the record he looks just like Heat Miser. I was quietly singing the song to the husband and he was kicking me under the table.

We took the PATH home and had dinner in Hoboken. The husband found this new place right near the gym called the Taco Truck. It is excellent food and anyone in Hoboken who has a yen for Mexican food should try it.

I picked up the boys last night. The ex told me our oldest has decided he wants to get fit and in shape. My oldest then told me he'd like to start running with me. I told him I had to run five miles today and he could join. He balked at that. So the compromise was we will do a mile and a half run tomorrow.

The Euroibor (that would be the inter bank overnight rate in euros) is showing some serious signs of stress. Spain got downgraded. The yield on the ten year bond here is below 3%. Yet stocks don't seem to care and are ignoring all the sings that we are in a deflationary environment. This is setting up for an ugly autumn. Throw in a dollar crisis- which is highly likely- and we could see a repeat of '87.

Tonight we are off to see The Sorcerer's Apprentice.

I met up with a fraternity brother Friday morning for a quick coffee. The guy was a year behind me and very smart guy. Applied for a job with the CIA. Did not make the cut- so he says. I was thinking it would be a brilliant ploy to say you get declined, take a job with a software company, travel the world. I sent him a text as well saying it would be brilliant. He never replied. So maybe I'm onto something here.

I got my hair cut Friday morning before coffee with my friend Smiley. I have been going to the barber in the Port Authority for close to a year now- monthly. Old Sicilian guy, Joe. This time he seemed to think my name was Tom or Thomas. He called me Tom and Thomas the entire time. I did nothing to correct him as he does a great job, trims my eyebrows and uses the hot foam and a straight razor on the back of my neck. He also is cheap.

No comments: