Tuesday, July 20, 2010

David Foster Wallace

Catching up on posts, have been kinda busy lately with the cottage and the job.

So last Friday morning I saw the Eric Northman look alike in the gym again. Dude is smokin'! The bus ride in was easy on the eyes as well.

Last week I had a bit of a surreal moment. One of the brokers we work with in Asia was in town. I and a co-worker met up with her for drinks. It dawned on me that she was let go from my firm several years ago so I could be hired. I downed the drinks quickly and actually sat next to one of the traders she brought with her as it was a tad too weird for me.

I am psyched as a friend in the business told me he will be restarting his blog. It is definitely humor aimed at people in our line of work and used to have it linked on here and will have a link to it back once he starts writing again.

I was checking out the state fair website. I am taking the last week of August off and taking the boys up north to go see mom and dad. The state fair will be starting at the end of the week and I am taking the boys. I saw the En Vogue will be playing there in the free concert area. I was shocked- no not that En Vogue is doing a free concert but that the group is still around. The only song I recall from them is Free Your Mind.

I also noticed one Justin Moore will be playing there. Hot cowboy singers always do it for me. I am not a fan and won't be there for his show but I may have to check him out.

This weekend we were busy. Friday night we had dinner with the kid who used to work with me back in my hedge fund days. Great guy, his wife is a pisser too. The husband forgot how tall both of them were, lol. We had a nice dinner and the husband was in heaven when the wife told him she really liked and approved of all the changes the husband has made to my style. I kindly pointed out to all at the table that the shirt and pants I was wearing were chosen solely by me and the husband had nothing to do with my ensemble.

Saturday we painted the bathroom. Seriously, I am so not good at picking colors. We looked at so many frackin' paint chips I almost got to the point of uttering the dreaded ""I don't care, you just pick one, they all look the same to me" line. Once the husband starts using words like tonality, shades, hues, etc. my eyes start to glaze over and i find myself looking for my happy place.

Sunday I cleaned out the gutters as the husband was not brave enough to climb up onto the roof and do it. He took care of removing some more shrubbery. We then went and saw Despicable Me. The movie is definitely geared toward the under 8 crowd. There were some funny scenes but I should have listened to my sons who saw it Saturday with their mom and skipped it.

Last night we were on the UES for a surprise party. MP's bf moved over here from London. He did not have a going away party there so MP decided she would host a Welcome To America party. It was fun even though I was completely soaked thru my shirt because of the humidity when I got to the restaurant. I can also understand why a lot of people think New Yorkers are doosh bags. there was a sign posted on the door of the restaurant clearly stating it was closed for the evening for a private party. That did not stop no less than five different couples coming in to get a quick drink. Apparently they thought the sign did not apply to them or was not real.

The bartender was totally hot and a magician. I told MP he could wave my wand around any time.

Going to the dojo- sweep the leg!- tonight as I skipped it last night for the party. The husband has one of his two book clubs tonight in the city0 of course back up on the UES.

I am getting seriously disturbed with the direction the government is (and has been for the past fifty years) taking us in. The financial/military/political elites are in collusion and act like Russian oligarchs. I think everyone needs to re-read or read for the first time V For Vendetta. I have also come tot eh conclusion that JW is right and those same elites seem hell bent upon destroying the social safety net that has been in place since the '30s. To whit- there was an article about how the current Administration told Rep. Obey that they should just cut food stamps funding to pay for teachers. Doesn't anyone in the White House realize that there are a record number of food stamp recipients in the country right now?

Kind of caught up with JP via email yesterday. He seems to be doing very well and in a good spot.

So JW last week sent me a link to a website that analyzes your writing and tells you which famous author you write like. My writing is like David Foster Wallace's. I had no clue who the guy is so I googled him and he wrote Infinite Jest and then killed himself- great, got that and total consciousness on my deathbed going for me I guess.

No comments: