Sunday, November 29, 2009

Kiwanis is coined from a Native American term "Nunc Kee-wanis"

So yesterday afternoon the husband and I went back to the county park and did the lake loop as a run. Funny- the husband enticed me with the line we won't do a hard pace. He is lucky I love him because he totally fucking lied! He led the run and even though it was only three miles it felt like 5 and I was dying by the en of the run. I asked him what the pace was and he said 7:45. I was more like 8:00 as I did not keep to his pace. I have to say though it was a great run through the woods and I can see how my older brother enjoyed cross country running. The husband ran cross country too and admitted when we got back in the car that that was one of the harder runs he had done due to all the hills.

Last night we made dinner for the parents. The husband was in charge of the main course, MP had the sides and I had the dessert. The husband crushed it on the roast pork tenderloin and salad, MP made mashed cauliflower with bleu cheese and sauteed leeks and I made a simple French peasant dessert- Black Mission fig and raspberry galette. Mom and dad were seriously impressed.

This morning there was a heavy frost when we got up. I and MP were hoping we would have had some snow as up north there usually is some by Thanksgiving. The husband was glad there was not as he was driving back with the kids while MP and I took the train back.

The train ride was ok although ten minutes behind schedule. I of course had a baseball cap on. It was from the Kiwanis Club in the hometown. Dad had helped out at the annual Turkey Trot race and I stole it from him. MP and I basically played cards the entire time and then I read the GQ issue with hot Chris Pine on the cover. My favorite article was the one about Ayn Rand and how her true ardent believers are assholes akin to fundamentalist Christians.

Tonight we had dinner with PS and SP. The great news from them is they are expecting their first child come May.

Tomorrow night we are hosting the husband's book club. I will be assuming my usual role of hired help- keeping wine glasses full, setting the table, serving food, etc. So tonight I had to make the dessert for them. I fell back on my usual old stand by- which is seasonally appropriate- apple pie.

I have had an interesting, ongoing email discussion with Ragnar and JW over the past week or so about the whole health care debate and some good points have been brought up. Ragnar- and I have to agree- made the point that it is for the common good of society as a whole to have a healthy populace. He also commented in a round about way that any good capitalist would want a healthy populace as a source of labor and a source of buyers of their goods and services. Very Vulcan in the logic. The sticking point was when I asked what makes health care more of a right than housing or a job. That set him off and I felt like I- and anyone who disagreed with the current plan or the idea health care is a right- was getting painted as a person of low or no morals and possibly limited intellect. I responded as such and then was off to mom and dad's for Thanksgiving. Ragnar responded but I prefer reading and replying on something other than my crackberry. It got me thinking though that that seems to be a big problem with the Democrats and liberals- if you ask why you get attacked; the old if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. It also sort of came across as condescending in the manner of don't question me, I know what is best for you and everyone else, just do as I say. I can see how most of the middle of America can get pissed off at that seeming attitude. It can appear elitist.

JW had some great points as well. I had commented that capitalism has never been about the fair allocation of resources but the most efficient allocation of resources. He is of the view that the current system for health care is neither fair nor efficient. I really can't argue with that either.

I guess I just don't think the current proposal will address either fairness nor efficiency. I feel like there is a rush to change it because it is neither right now but replacing it with something that does not address both issues just leaves us in the same spot we are in now. Instead of profit seekers making decisions we will have the government making them for us. I also wonder if there is not a large portion of the populace who does not want to have to make a choice. If you don't make a choice that means someone else will and when something goes wrong you have someone else to blame. Whereas if you had to make the choice yourself and made a bad choice you couldn't blame anyone other than yourself. Pass the buck- don't accept responsibility.

No pool tomorrow morning or dojo. Tuesday morning the husband is off to Miami with ST and PJ for four days. He needs a vacation and some me time so I hope he has fun and relaxes. Even with him gone it is shaping up to be a busy week. I imagine tomorrow we'll also see the real reaction to the whole Dubai World fiasco since Friday was a half day for the markets. Oh joy...

No comments: