Sunday, November 22, 2009

It's polite to engage dinner guests in conversation

This was a pretty great birthday weekend.

Yesterday we spent the day getting ready for our dinner guests. I and the boys went to the grocery store and did the grocery shopping. I also then finished hanging the art as ST had stopped by Thursday and given the husband his professional opinion (he is a former museum curator so knows what he is taking about) about the placement of the art we had in the home. I also got to take a nap as Friday night I let the boys stay up until midnight so we were all a bit tired.

The husband made one of his best meals ever for dinner. He did a leg of lamb, this great onion gratin, couscous and salad. The best part was he made the boys look at and touch the leg of lamb and the hip joint on it. They were kind of freaked out about it but they are still boys and thought it was cool, lol.

PF and DR came over for dinner. I had prepped everyone involved- PF because he can and often does use colorful language and the boys that they would have to actually talk with our dinner guests.

The irony is that DR was actually the one who used colorful language first and the boys were complete chatter boxes the entire dinner. It helped that our dinner guests and the boys both love South Park so they were talking about it all night and PF told my oldest which episode he thought was the funniest and had to watch- which he promptly did on the laptop.

I knew the dinner was a complete success when my oldest told the husband the meal was great and told our dinner guests they were by far the best dinner guests we have ever had over.

Dessert was awesome as the husband went and gotten a cake from this old school Italian bakery in Hoboken. I had known about it for years and always thought it was great. Come to find out the place actually has a reality t.v. show based on it. The cake was a big hit too.

The boys again stayed up until midnight because everyone was having fun.

Today we all went into the city and had lunch with MP at her apartment. She made us meatloaf, mashed sweet potatoes and broccoli. My oldest loved the mashed sweet potatoes and when MP offered the left overs to take home he jumped at it. The boys also loved her cats and thought they were great.

We then headed on over to the Met and took in the Art of the Samurai. It was pretty damn cool and the boys thought it was really neat. My youngest got a little replica samurai helmet and the oldest decided he wanted something else. So of course he picked a musical snow globe? I was a bit taken aback but thought what the hell, if that is what he liked at the Met so be it.

Both of them slept the entire ride to their mom's house- that's what happens when you stay up until midnight two nights in a row I guess.

I was stunned at how much the Joint Congressional Finance Committee beat up on Turbo Tax Timmy last week. He seriously got abused and on television. Don't get me wrong I think the guy should be fired as he is the one who signed off on AIG's counter parties getting paid one hundred cents on the dollar.

This week is shaping up to be a bit busy in front of Thanksgiving. Speaking of Thanksgiving I of course hit it up on wiki and one the things that made me laugh is apparently big, fat Rush Limbaugh says the real reason we need to celebrate it is because it was the turning point from whence the Pilgrims, who were dying because of their communal living system, gave up and decided to turn to a free market system and that is what turned the Massachusetts Bay colony around.

No comments: