Thursday, December 25, 2008

The year without a Christmas tree

So this past Sunday the husband went out to his parents to pick up our Christmas decorations and tree stand. We are not big on having a tree up the entire season, one week is good for us so it was not untoward to put it up on the 21st. The husband was also going out to his parents to drop off Christmas gifts. HE was pretty hung over from a Christmas party the night before. He called me when he was in the crawl space and asked if I was sure our stuff was there. I said yes. He looked for a little over a half hour then went upstairs to go to the bathroom. As he walked out of it he noticed his parents had a live tree this year and guess what? Yep, they were using our tree stand and decorations. I opined since we are leaving Christmas Day to go snowboarding for a week we should just skip the tree this year.

I was not paying a lot of attention to the markets this week since it was a two day work week for me.

Tuesday night I picked up the boys at their grandfather's house. The weather was not bad but apparently my former father-in-law doesn't believe in salting his driveway. As I pulled in and was hitting the brakes the truck kept sliding, I barely missed rear-ending the ex' car. I took the boys into the city to see the tree in Rockefeller Center. The entire way there my oldest (he's 11) kept saying who cares, I don't want to do this, it's only a tree, etc. Once we turned the corner on 5ht at Saks the first words out of his mouth were "Oh my God!" He was mightily impressed by the tree and that reaction made all the bitching earlier worth it.

Christmas Eve the husband worked and I hung out with my boys. We got up and I made them breakfast then we opened gifts. They loved what they got. Then we showered up and went to the movies. We saw The Tale of Desparyeaux. It was a good flick but as we were leaving my oldest said he liked it but he likes comedies better and not movies that try to teach you a lesson.

We drove to my brother's house in central Jersey and spent a few hours there with him, my sister-in-law, their twins and my parents. I then dropped the boys off at their mom's with Christmas cookies and fudge from their grandmother. The ex asked if they were my mom's chocolate chips cookies because she really misses them. I said no but she can make them and send some to which she responded she didn't need them because she would eat them all.

The husband and I then had dinner with ST and PJ at a great little restaurant in Rocky Hill. We drove home and went right to bed.

We woke up to find we apparently had been good enough this year to make Santa's list. We had a nice breakfast and opened gifts, finished packing and we are off to Utah to meet up with TK for a week of snowboarding. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to anyone who reads this. I'll catch ya on the other side in 2009.

No comments: