Thursday, September 1, 2011

Green acres is the place to be...

Ok, so it's been a while but the move was really taking all my time.  It's done; we are now officially country gays as Mr. Clifford would say. 

Thankfully my sister in law and her gf came to the apartment Wednesday night and took the kids and some other stuff down and spent the night at the cottage.  Thursday morning the movers showed  up with more men than they had said they'd bring so the move went really quick and it cost less than they had estimated.  The husband and I of course had boxes in the back of the pick up that got rained on profusely.  Everything went down into the basement so no we have only two apartments worth of stuff in the basement.

Friday I went to work for the J-Hole event which was really a non event as there was nothing the Bernak could say and he basically thew his gun at the monster that the economy has become.  He also rightfully blamed the political establishment for doing nothing.

Saturday morning we were up early and down in the basement elevating everything.  Most stuff went up at least 6" and the husband asked if that was high enough.  I replied if the water gets higher than that we are screwed and have bigger issues.  Irene started that afternoon.  We all went across the road to PJ and ST's for dinner.  When we finished and came back it was really starting to come down.   Sunday morning I got up to no electricity and a small lake in the back yard.  The river behind the canal at the back of the property had seriously crested causing the canal to as well and the wooded area of the property was more like a swamp.  The water climbed steadily all day only to stop at the clothes line- call it about 30' from the house.  Phew.

The other issue Sunday was we were literally trapped in the neighborhood.  The road about a half mile in both directions was flooded out.  The two roads leading out of the neighborhood were blocked with several fallen trees.  The boys were starting to go stir crazy.  Their mom still had power (but her basement flooded- haha) so I made the decision to get them there asap.  It took me a mere hour and change to make the 11 mile drive.  Getting home was quite another story as the route I had taken was now flooded out in several areas.  I tried many different routes and a little over five hours later I walked back into the cottage.  I put a bit over two hundred miles on the truck that day- WTF?  Still no power too which also meant no water- we are on a well.  At least we had candles, booze, a propane cook top and bottled water.  Monday was a no go for work.  ST came over to tell us one of the barns still had electricity and hot and cold water.  He also informed us we'd not be getting power back until Friday.  So the husband and I had a movie date.  We saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes.  Very good flick.

Tuesday I got to work after showering at the gym and driving in as there was very limited train service.  We still had the garage spot in JC so I drove there, parked, went to the gym and showered up and took the bus into work.  Around noon the husband unexpectedly IMed me- we had power back- woo hoo!

Yesterday I drove in again as I had to drop off a blind we had mistakenly packed.  So I drove tot he garage again and hopped on the bus.  It was quite fun to take my last bus ride into the PA with JP.  He is doing well and actually has a pretty good gig going right now working as a personal assistant for a rather well known actor in films and theater.  On the way home I turned in the parking pass for the garage and informed them we'd no longer be parking there.

Ok, the economy is still totally fracked.  I read the Rogoff piece and he basically said we are in a depression but no one has the sac to say so.  Our neighbor to the north blew chunks yesterday on their most recent GDP report which does not bode well for us as we are their largest trading partner by far.  The smart kid who works with me sent an email today titled the croissant is burning...France is going to most likely lose its triple A rating which will most likely lead Germany to saying no mas- we're out. 

This weekend we have our gf MM visiting.  Totally psyched to see her as we have not seen her in over two years.  She went gallivanting off to The Continent to get her MBA and has returned to seek her fortunes in the bright lights of the big city.  She will be catching the train down with me after work.

This weekend we are going to see either the cheesy shark 3D movie or the latest iteration of Conan.  I am also looking forward to seeing the new series on SciFi "Paranormal Witness."

This morning was my first time commuting on the train in quite some times.  Have yet to see any eye candy worth writing about.








No comments: