Thursday, February 3, 2011

LinkedIn is NOT a site one uses to hit on people- keep it professional people

Getting into the office yesterday was quite an adventure with everything coated in ice.  One thing though that made me realize I have gone native after living in Jersey for over twenty years and that I really love about Jersey was how everyone ignored the yellow caution tape pt up to prevent people from using the ice covered  walkway along the river.  It took ma almost a half hour to get to the Hoboken Terminal as I was using the short stutter step.

I was supposed to do a five mile run this morning but was so not in the mood and slept in a bit later than usual.  It was great to do it and I am looking forward to doing it this weekend too.

Funny- you know when the government says our military is ready to take a non-combat role in helping evacuate U.S. citizens from Egypt that means we clearly already have several special-ops teams on the ground there.  As confirmation,one of the salesmen we speak with has a brother who happens to be in the U.S. Special Forces and guess where he was sent last Friday- yep, the land of the Pharaohs.

I was not really surprised when The Bernank said with a straight face today that his easy money policies have nothing to do with the rampant food inflation around the world and that places such as Egypt have other issues causing the unrest.  That is a bald faced lie.  The Fed's ZIRP is most assuredly causing the rampant food inflation everywhere- even here in the United States.

LinkedIn.  It's really like an electronic Rolodex.  I have some general rules for it I follow.  I look at the people you may know section and if there is someone in there I have at least 5 shared connections with and a common group I will ask them to join my network.  I think it works well.  Anyhow, I added one guy to my network before Thanksgiving.  he met the criteria- five shared connections and actually two common groups.  He said we should get together for drinks some time.  I told him after the holidays would be best.  So we finally set up drinks for after work today.  Nice kid, on my team, knows I am married, has a boyfriend.  I left after two drinks as I had to make up my five mile run tonight. I sent him a text when I got home saying it was great to meet him, let's keep in touch.  His reply was we should do it again soon and next time we can have cocktails at his place and ended it with a smiley face.  I was a bit taken aback and thought this kid is hitting one me.  I had to verify I was not misinterpreting the text so I checked with Mr. Barrett and he confirmed my suspicion.  Ok folks- LinkedIn is solely for professional networking- it is not for hooking up.  If you want to hook up use ManHunt or Craig's List- you can probably find all the married guys who are prone to cheating you want.

1 comment:

jimbo said...

Yeah I keep LinkedIn for my former and current coworkers (but barely use it except to post job-related things).